Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , May 29, 2011
      READ: 2 Peter 1:2-11 Appended

      If these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful
      in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. —2 Peter 1:8

      On a recent trip, my wife was seated near a mother with a young boy on his
      first flight. As the plane took off, he exclaimed, “Mom, look how high we are!
      And everything’s getting smaller!” A few minutes later he shouted, “Are those
      clouds down there? What are they doing under us?” As time passed, other
      passengers read, dozed, and lowered their window shades to watch the in-flight
      video. This boy, however, remained glued to the window, absorbed in the wonder
      of all he was seeing.

      For “experienced travelers” in the Christian life, there can be great danger in
      losing the wonder. The Scriptures that once thrilled us may become more familiar
      and academic. We may fall into the lethargy of praying with our minds but not
      our hearts.

      Peter urged the early followers of Christ to continue growing in their faith,
      virtue, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness,
      and love (2 Peter 1:5-7). He said, “If these things are yours and abound [or
      are increasing], you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of
      our Lord Jesus Christ” (v.8). Without them we become blind and forget the
      marvel of being cleansed from our sins (v.9).

      May God grant us all grace to keep growing in the wonder of knowing Him. —David
      McCasland

      On such love, my soul, still ponder
      Love so great, so rich, so free;
      Say, while lost in holy wonder,
      “Why, O Lord, such love to me?” —Kent

      Continual growing in Christ comes from a deepening knowledge of Him.
      2 Peter 1:2-11

      2 Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of
      Jesus our Lord.

      Confirming One’s Calling and Election 3 His divine power has given us everything
      we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own
      glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and
      precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine
      nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

      5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to
      goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control,
      perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual
      affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities
      in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and
      unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not
      have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from
      their past sins.

      10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters,[a] make every effort to confirm your
      calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and
      you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior
      Jesus Christ.

      Footnotes:
      1. 2 Peter 1:10 The Greek word for brothers and sisters (adelphoi) refers here
      to believers, both men and women, as part of God’s family.
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.