Day, date and time of the Last Supper/First Holy Qurbono

  • Vatachal Thomas John
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2011
      Respected moderators and members,

      The Day, the Date and the Time of the Last Supper (First Holy Qurbono)

      Yahoo News Sydney April 7, 2011 quoting ANI says that as per the new book “Mystery of the Last Supper” the date of the Passover (Last Supper) is Wednesday 1..4..0033 AD. According to our Church, Wednesday evening by the present-day-reckoning is the Thursday evening, because, any day commences with the sunset and ends just before sunset next day. For the Church, the time of commencement of the day is neither midnight nor the time of dawn but it is the time of sunset. Except for Great Lent, Passion Week and the Nineveh Lent, the prayers of the seven watches can be combined said in two occasions viz., in the evening when there is twilight combining the prayers for the ninth hour of the previous day, and of the evening and soothoro of the new day; and in the morning there is at least light darkness, combining the prayers for the mid-night, morning, third hour and mid-day. For the above special days, the prayers of the seven watches are to be said in three occasions which includes mid-day combing the prayers of the third hour, mid-day and ninth hour to be said at mid- day; the remaining prayers said in the evening and in the morning . For the prayer of the ninth hour of Monday evening (that is Sunday evening as per the present day reckoning) and of all other evening prayers of no-prostrating days there is no prostration even if it is said with the evening prayers of prostrating days.

      If the Wednesday evening theory (that is the same as Thursday evening according to our Church) is accepted, the Last Supper cannot be Passover meal as leavened bread was used by our Lord when instituting Holy Qurbono. Our Lord was crucified exactly at the very time when a Passover lamb was slaughtered at every Jewish home. The Jews took the Passover meals with the flesh of the Passover lamb together with unleavened bread thereafter, that is, after crucifixion.

      Now, therefore, our Lord was in the custody of Jews/Pilate /Herod during almost entire night of Wednesday (that is Thursday night as per the Church parlance), the entire day time of Thursday, the entire night of that Thursday (that is Friday as per the Church parlance) and the day time on Friday till He was crucified at about 9 AM on 3.4.0033 AD. They had adequate time for trial before the Synod or Council of the Jews, before the Governor Pilate, before Herod and before Pilate once again and for inflicting on His Body and Mind all sorts of injuries and insults. The Synod or Council of the Jews tried our Lord during the entire night (muzhuravu /raathrimuzhuvan/lilio kuleh ) after our Lord Jesus Christ had instituted Holy Qurbono and conducted the Gethsemane prayer. And the Jews produced our Lord before Pilate in the early morning. From there He was taken before Herod and once again before Pilate We, Jacobites celebrate the last supper Qurbono in the evening of Wednesday (that is Thursday evening in the Church parlance) with leavened wheat bread and fermented wine mixed with water. [I have to mention here that unleavened bread and unfermented wine exist only in theory; just as pure water produced even in a highly clean and sophisticated laboratory, as the pure water produced is contaminated with the traces of the container even if the container is pure glass. The moment flour is made in to dough the leavening process starts taking place even if no yeast (pulippu) is added and the moment grape juice is prepared fermentation sets in. We can think of leavening / fermenting just as we say water is hot or cold. It is important to submit that the Lord established the Holy Qurbono with wheat and wine available globally with leavened bread and fermented wine as unleavened bread and unfermented wine existed only in theory as our Lord is a practical person.

      In this connection I would like to know whether our Church will agree with the findings in the above mentioned “Mystery of the Last Supper” and whether our Mor Adday Study Center will consider publishing a translation of the book in Malayalam.

      Respectful regards,
      V T John
      ID 3085