Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , May 27, 2011
      READ: Psalm 119:129-136 Appended

      Direct my steps by Your Word. —Psalm 119:133

      During the era of great sea exploration in the 15th and 16th centuries, sailing
      ships traversed vast, hazardous oceans and navigated dangerous coastlines.
      Pilots used various navigation techniques—including a book called a “rutter”
      (not the “rudder,” the ship’s steering device). This was a log of events kept
      by earlier voyagers who chronicled their encounters with previously unknown and
      difficult waters. By reading the sailing details in a rutter, captains could
      avoid hazards and make it through difficult waters.

      In many ways, the Christian life is like a voyage, and the believer needs help
      in navigating life’s perilous seas. We have that help because God has given us
      His Word as a “spiritual rutter.” Often when we reflect on a meaningful
      passage, we can recall God’s faithfulness through trying circumstances. As the
      psalmist suggests, perils are found not only in life situations but also in our
      inner tendency toward sin. Because of these dual concerns, he wrote, “Direct my
      steps by Your Word, and let no iniquity have dominion over me” (119:133).

      As you reflect on the teaching in the Bible, you’ll be reminded of God’s past
      care, assured of the Lord’s guidance in trying circumstances, and warned
      against sinfulness. That’s the advantage of having a “spiritual rutter.”
      —Dennis Fisher

      My Bible is a guidebook true
      That points for me the way,
      That gives me courage, hope, and cheer
      And guidance for each day. —Anon.

      With God’s Word as your map and His Spirit as your compass, you’re sure to stay
      on course.

      Psalm 119:129-136

      129 Your statutes are wonderful;
      therefore I obey them.
      130 The unfolding of your words gives light;
      it gives understanding to the simple.
      131 I open my mouth and pant,
      longing for your commands.
      132 Turn to me and have mercy on me,
      as you always do to those who love your name.
      133 Direct my footsteps according to your word;
      let no sin rule over me.
      134 Redeem me from human oppression,
      that I may obey your precepts.
      135 Make your face shine on your servant
      and teach me your decrees.
      136 Streams of tears flow from my eyes,
      for your law is not obeyed.
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.