A few questions (Posting from Malankara News)

  • Aji Thomas David
    Message 1 of 1039 , Jan 23, 2003
      A Few Questions After reading some latest news in the site ,few
      questions remains.

      1. The Orthodox church upholds with great reverence,the 1934 constitution.
      But those who know it in the real text will read the foremost clause ie.,
      the Pariarch of Antioch is the Supreme spiritual leader of Malankara Orthodox
      Church and Catholicose only comes below him.The last Supreme Court verdict
      also asserts it .And so we no longer have any base in saying Catholicose
      is equal to Patriarch.

      2.The 1934 Constitution clearly says about the control of Parish Church by
      parishers.Infact isn't this which is violated by Orthodox Bishops who claims
      churches to be their own and Catholicose asking for churches to be in his name?

      3.The Parumala Association was called for as according to Court orders .But
      the absence of transparency in conducting the elections prompted the
      Jacobite faction to complain about it and when not obtaining a proper
      solution ,walked out.What happened was a manipulated election with
      members only from one section and voting for one person alone. Is it
      the Christian way? If the Orthodox bishops had confidence in their
      majority, they wouldn't dare to do such an act of cowardice. Isn't
      that what happened?

      4.Those upholding the 1934 constitution and the Supreme Court verdict
      which clearly underlines Patriarchal supremacy, could have at least kept
      a photo of Patriarch at the Association election site at Parumala where
      a Saint(Parumala thirumeni) is venerated who in his life time proclaimed
      all allegiance to the Syrian throne. Why didn't we do it? We are moving
      in a manner with very little respect to opposition.If we don't want to
      respect Patriarch,better keep quiet.It is not an excuse to abuse Him.

      5. What would have been the stand of Parumala thirumeni if He were present
      today? Certainly it wouldn't something against the Throne of St:Peter !!!

      6.The Supreme Court Verdict also has said against the throne of St: Thomas
      in Kerala. Now only the Orthodox Church is saying about the throne of St:
      Thomas. Not even the Mar Thoma church says anything about it. So in insisting
      about the throne of St: Thomas are we for or against the Supreme Court. Or
      is it that, we want the verdict the way we want it ? Isn't it another act
      of cowardice and treachery?

      7.The Supreme Court says about the status of Catholicose as the Head of Church
      in India.Why are we not contended with it? Why should we want more? Why are
      the bishops acting like blood hounds?

      8.If we say against the Patriarch , we should then give back the seminary at
      Thrikkunath, Aluva , for which the funding had a share from Syria also for
      building it. Also give back the Kolenchery Hospital, the main architect and
      the man behind it being our opposition leader Catholicose Thomas (former
      Bishop Dionysius). They are not coming to catch hold of Parumala Church ,so
      we better don't go to get their churches.

      9.The Puthupally church problem was settled amicably when the Jacobite faction
      withdrew seeing they don't have a majority. This act of Jacobites inspired
      Mr. Oommen Chandy and he went and asked Catholicose for such compromise from
      our part also which infuriated our church head. And he became an enemy of the
      church. When a compromise solution is put, will the faithful become enemy of
      the church. Even still Mr.Oommen Chandy hasn't denounced Orthodox Church. So
      who is great,the faithful leading a Christian way or the Head rejecting the Christian way?

      Courtesy : Malankara News (An Indian Orthodox Church internet magazine)
      23-01-2003
    • Jaison
      Message 1039 of 1039 , Sep 21, 2011
        Dear all