Sathya Sai Baba... yet...

  • Dn. Aniss Sowmy
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2011
      Dear Editor or dear all!

      I accompanied the discussion about Sathya Sai Baba and I am astonished about the different view points inside ot Christian community.

      I would like to tell a story that really happened in our Saint John the Baptist, Syrian Orthodox Church here in São Paulo, Brazil.

      During a time while the local priest Rev. Sewerius Hawa return to br ordained bishop in Iraq, we were visited by a Coptic Orthodox Bishop - Anba Samuel, that unfortunatelly was killed with Egyptian President Anuar Sadat in the attack of fanatics during a military exhibition.

      After the Sunday Holy Mass, the late bishop sat in the hall of the Church to speak with the community, and one man of the Syrian Community that declared himself ateist, asked the bishop if those budists and people of other religions that didn't believe in Christ or that weren't Christians if they were good people they would deserve enter in Haven at the end of times.

      The bishop simply asked him if his passport to Haven was already liberated to enter Haven?!

      The community laughed at the proposal but Anba Samuel, the Coptic Orthodox Bishop, continue, "Alas my dear, first of all let us analyse our situation in the Judgemente Day, then let us leave such decision to God himself!"

      Do we need any other consideration?

      Goodness is goodness everywhere, some examples existed outside Christianism and must not be desqualified.

      A person is good independent of his religion, depends only of his acts in society.

      Thus Christ gave us many examples that came up in this discussion and its not necessary to repeat them.

      If a Syrian Orthodox Priest prays for a good man even if this man is not of our faith he must not be condemned, as also if anyone that is not of our church likes to help in the building or the maintanance of the Church must not be excluded.

      We must have the humbleness to understand, learn, and finally teach.

      Everything, every act in Christianity begins with humbleness.

      Let now take care of my heavenly passport, please!

      Aniss Ibrahim Sowmy
      Evangelist Deacon
      Syrian Orthodox Church in São Paulo, Brazil.