Our Daily Bread:Forwarded

    Message 1 of 22 , May 8 5:29 PM
      READ: Isaiah 66:7-13 Appended

      Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.
      —Psalm 37:3

      When I stuck my camera into the bush to take a picture of the baby robins,
      they opened their mouths without opening their eyes. They were so used to
      having mama robin feed them whenever the branches moved that they didn’t even
      look to see who (or what) was causing the disturbance.
      That is the kind of trust that loving mothers instill in their children. That
      is the kind of mom I am blessed to have. Growing up, I could eat whatever food
      she put on the table without fear that it would harm me. Although she made me
      eat things I didn’t like, I knew she did so because they were good for me. If
      she cared only about what was easy for her, she would have let me eat junk
      food. No matter what Mom told me to do, or not to do, I knew she had my best
      interest in mind. She wasn’t trying to keep me from having fun; she was trying
      to protect me from being hurt.

      That is the kind of relationship we have with God, who compared Himself to a
      mother: “As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you” (Isa. 66:13).
      As His children, we have no reason to fear what happens to us nor to envy what
      happens to others: “Do not . . . be envious of the workers of iniquity” (Ps.
      37:1). When we trust His goodness, we are fed by His faithfulness. —Julie

      Ackerman Link

      Lord, we’re thankful for this example of motherhood.
      But even more, we’re grateful for Your faithful
      “mothering” of us displayed in Your compassion
      day by day. Help us to find rest in You. Amen.

      God’s care surrounds us.

      Isaiah 66:7-13

      7 “Before she goes into labor,
      she gives birth;
      before the pains come upon her,
      she delivers a son.
      8 Who has ever heard of such things?
      Who has ever seen things like this?
      Can a country be born in a day
      or a nation be brought forth in a moment?
      Yet no sooner is Zion in labor
      than she gives birth to her children.
      9 Do I bring to the moment of birth
      and not give delivery?” says the LORD.
      “Do I close up the womb
      when I bring to delivery?” says your God.
      10 “Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her,
      all you who love her;
      rejoice greatly with her,
      all you who mourn over her.
      11 For you will nurse and be satisfied
      at her comforting breasts;
      you will drink deeply
      and delight in her overflowing abundance.”
      12 For this is what the LORD says:
      “I will extend peace to her like a river,
      and the wealth of nations like a flooding stream;
      you will nurse and be carried on her arm
      and dandled on her knees.
      13 As a mother comforts her child,
      so will I comfort you;
      and you will be comforted over Jerusalem.”