Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , May 6, 2011
      READ: Proverbs 6:6-11 Appended

      [The ant] provides her supplies in the summer, and gathers her food in the
      harvest. —Proverbs 6:8

      Every year I do something special to celebrate the arrival of spring —I buy
      ant traps. Those little invaders continually march into our kitchen in search
      of any crumb left on the floor. They aren’t picky; a shard of potato chip, a
      grain of rice, or even a speck of cheese will do.

      Although ants may be a nuisance, Solomon praised them for their steadfast work
      ethic (Prov. 6:6-11). He pointed out that ants are self-directed. They have “no
      captain, overseer, or ruler” (v.7), yet they are very productive. The ants also
      keep busy even when it’s not immediately necessary, providing supplies in the
      summer and gathering food in the harvest (v.8). By the time winter arrives,
      they’re not worried about what they will eat. Little by little, these hard
      workers have saved up enough to sustain themselves.

      We can learn from the ant. When God gives us times of plenty, we can prepare
      for times when resources may be low. God is the provider of all that we have,
      including our ability to work. We are to work diligently, be wise stewards of
      what He has provided, and then rest in the promise of His care (Matt. 6:25-34).

      Let’s remember Solomon’s advice: “Go to the ant . . . . Con-sider her ways and
      be wise” (Prov. 6:6). —Jennifer Benson Schuldt

      The humble ant’s keen industry
      Can teach us all a lesson,
      If in creation we will see
      God’s classroom is in session. — Gustafson

      Trust God for today—and prepare for tomorrow.

      Proverbs 6:6-11

      6 Go to the ant, you sluggard;
      consider its ways and be wise!
      7 It has no commander,
      no overseer or ruler,
      8 yet it stores its provisions in summer
      and gathers its food at harvest.
      9 How long will you lie there, you sluggard?
      When will you get up from your sleep?
      10 A little sleep, a little slumber,
      a little folding of the hands to rest—
      11 and poverty will come on you like a thief
      and scarcity like an armed man.
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.