Orthodox Festival 2011 - London

  • Rev. Fr. Peter Farrington
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4, 2011
      As agreed at the last meeting of the COOC, the Annual Oriental Orthodox Festival and Liturgy will be taking place on Saturday, 14th May, at 10 am at

      St Michaels Eritrean Orthodox Church
      78 Edmund Street,
      Camberwell,
      SE5 7NR,
      United Kingdom

      http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=eritrean+orthodox+camberwell&fb=1&hq=eritrean+orthodox&hnear=Camberwell,+Greater+London,+UK&cid=0,0,4795233989174577289&ll=51.4799,-0.08877&spn=0.006174,0.021136&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

      Do please ensure that all the members of your churches are aware of this event and that as many representatives of our churches participate as possible.

      This regular event is sponsored by the Council of Oriental Orthodox Churches in the UK.

      As is customary, please arrange that food be brought to share with others during the buffet lunch.

      Father Peter
    • Mathew G M
      Message 2 of 10 , May 5, 2011
        Dear Mathew G Daniel,

        For us Orthodox Christians we have public (liturgical) prayers and private prayers. In liturgical prayers only baptized orthodox christians are commemorated. For example we will not give Holy Qurbana to a non baptized person. First of all the non baptized person may not even want to receive Qurbana. Similarly we will not conduct a formal funeral service for a non baptized person. That person may not want it, he may want to be cremated as per his tradition.

        This is why Manjanikkara Dayara refused to accept Kurbanapanam from you for commemorating a non Orthodox Christian in the Holy Qurbana.

        Now there is private prayer. This is also as important as public liturgical prayers. In private prayer we are asked to pray for 'ALL'. We should pray for our family, our friends, our enemies, people who love us and even people who hate us.

        Coming back to good deeds; each of us have been given different talents. We need to do good deeds based on the talents given to each. If I am blessed with the talent to be a medical doctor, then I should use that talent to serve God; (we have to remember His words, when you serve the least among you, you are serving me). If I am blessed with the talent to be a teacher, then I should use that talent to teach poor children stuggling in schools. Now if we just dug a hole and hid our talent under the earth, then when the Master of the household returns, we will be in trouble.

        In Christ,
        Mathew G M.
        0929

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Mathew G. Daniel wrote:

        > Dear Brother Mathew,
        >
        > I don't have much knowledge in this matter still you kindly read 2 Cor 6:14-18 and meditate it.
        >
        > I know one thing once I went to Manjinikara Dayara fro giving Kubrabanappanam for a Hindu friend the Rev. Deacon siting at the counter told me that a Hindu name shall not be accepted. If it is so how a rev, priest can pray for the soul of a self styled or believed god whose idols are worshiped world wide.

      • C. V. Baby
        Message 3 of 10 , May 7, 2011
          Dear All,

          It has been wonderful in going through the debate on this subject. It
          started with a statement of Rev. Poulose Achan. I think the matter has been stretched too much and may be the debate has finally threw a few questions:-

          1. As a true Christian, can anyone accept the principles or deeds of
          Sathya Sai Baba? The answer is definitely a big NO. A person who claims to be Bhagwan, talks about incarnation - he has no place in Christian faith.

          2. Should we appreciate any deed of Sai Baba? If he does anything to
          help the poor & needy - why not we appreciate those good work he has done for the poor and need society?

          3. Should we pray for Sai Baba? I have ready many "YES" and "NO" for
          this question. I am with the YES, but with one clarification on what should be our prayer in this regard? Remember the prayer of our Lord on the Cross. "Father, please forgive them since they do not know what they are doing". Why don't we pray "O Lord, please forgive Sai Baba since he does not know what he was teaching in this world". Our Lord taught us to pray for everone, especially for our enemies too.

          Let the debate go on - keen to hear and learn more on the subject from the members.

          Baby Dubai
          ID 4478