Orthodox Festival 2011 - London

  • Rev. Fr. Peter Farrington
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4 12:56 AM
      As agreed at the last meeting of the COOC, the Annual Oriental Orthodox Festival and Liturgy will be taking place on Saturday, 14th May, at 10 am at

      St Michaels Eritrean Orthodox Church
      78 Edmund Street,
      Camberwell,
      SE5 7NR,
      United Kingdom

      http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=eritrean+orthodox+camberwell&fb=1&hq=eritrean+orthodox&hnear=Camberwell,+Greater+London,+UK&cid=0,0,4795233989174577289&ll=51.4799,-0.08877&spn=0.006174,0.021136&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

      Do please ensure that all the members of your churches are aware of this event and that as many representatives of our churches participate as possible.

      This regular event is sponsored by the Council of Oriental Orthodox Churches in the UK.

      As is customary, please arrange that food be brought to share with others during the buffet lunch.

      Father Peter
    • Mathew G. Daniel
      Message 2 of 10 , May 4 9:25 PM
        Dear Joseph Renji, will you please explain what it would have been a problem if jesus asked the stones to become bread.

        Instead He said Luke 4:4 And jesus answered him, saying it is written, that man shall not live by bread alone, but by every Word of God.

        Try to understand the meaning of this verse then you will not agree with any one who advocates to Pray for a Bhagavan.

        Is it good for a true Christian to pray for the soul of a Bhagavan who is an idolteror as well as a miracle doer. Please don't deceive your Holy Spirit. Don't think of the charity of that man, think of what he was. Surely he was a Bhagavan for millions of devotees all over the world.

        What will a jacobite priest pray to the God to save his soul who prophecised that he will take birth agin in a village in karnataka after some time in the name of premprakash or something like that. Who claimed that hew was the reincarnation of the Sai Baba of Sirdi. what will he pray to ease his reincarnation in the predictd time. I feel pity to advice for a person who died who lived as a reincarnation and left the body to reincarnate agian in antoher name. No any true christian who believies in the I AM will never agree with such foolish advise. that too from an ordained priest of the Holy Jacobite Chucrh.

        Don't run after the wordly charity or anything and all when prayer of a gentile soul is concerned. Don't forget Elias killed all the 400 priest of Ball at Karmel valley.

        Once i was attending a camp in Thiruvanchur, at that time Rev. Fr. Zachariah ( Now HG Zacharias Mor Philexinose )told us that a beleiver from USA offered him a big amount of money to buld a mutistoried building near the camp centre. He told him to wait till he pray on the subject and refused to take the moeney later on!!!!.. You can ask him to know the truth. Don't get blind by the charity and all from Bhagavans like Sai, Leave him where he is don't bring him unto our prayers for which the God our Lord is eagerly waiting.

        Mathew G. Daniel
        # 4569

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Renji Panakal, wrote:

        > Dear all
        >
        > Poulose Achen, I believe, has expressed his condolenses on the demise of Sathya Sai Baba, purely because of the culture of service to the poor and needy advocated by Sai Baba. Our Lord has also taught us this aspesct through the "Good Samaritan". I find no wrong in this. The Missioneries of the past alongwith the preaching of Christianity had also extended their services to the poor and needy - many a hopitals, education istituitons etc have come up and flourished not for making money but for the service rendered.
        >
        > We in our life only study the Holy Bible, but go back in exercising the truth of the service highlighted therin.
        >
        > Joseph Renji Panakal, Kochi
        >
        > --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Rev. Fr. Paulose V V wrote:
        > >
        > > Sree Sathya Sai Baba and me
        > >
        > > Jesus is my God and my Lord. He is love and love is God and God is love. "This royal law is found in the scripture: Love your neighbour as you love yourself" (James 2:8).

        > From the desk of the Moderators:
        >
        > Please sign your messages with member ID. If you do not have a member ID, please send your details including contact number to moderators (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com) and obtain a member ID BEFORE POSTING ANY MORE MESSAGES in SOCM. Thank you for your cooperation.

      • Mathew G M
        Message 3 of 10 , May 5 10:14 AM
          Dear Mathew G Daniel,

          For us Orthodox Christians we have public (liturgical) prayers and private prayers. In liturgical prayers only baptized orthodox christians are commemorated. For example we will not give Holy Qurbana to a non baptized person. First of all the non baptized person may not even want to receive Qurbana. Similarly we will not conduct a formal funeral service for a non baptized person. That person may not want it, he may want to be cremated as per his tradition.

          This is why Manjanikkara Dayara refused to accept Kurbanapanam from you for commemorating a non Orthodox Christian in the Holy Qurbana.

          Now there is private prayer. This is also as important as public liturgical prayers. In private prayer we are asked to pray for 'ALL'. We should pray for our family, our friends, our enemies, people who love us and even people who hate us.

          Coming back to good deeds; each of us have been given different talents. We need to do good deeds based on the talents given to each. If I am blessed with the talent to be a medical doctor, then I should use that talent to serve God; (we have to remember His words, when you serve the least among you, you are serving me). If I am blessed with the talent to be a teacher, then I should use that talent to teach poor children stuggling in schools. Now if we just dug a hole and hid our talent under the earth, then when the Master of the household returns, we will be in trouble.

          In Christ,
          Mathew G M.
          0929

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Mathew G. Daniel wrote:

          > Dear Brother Mathew,
          >
          > I don't have much knowledge in this matter still you kindly read 2 Cor 6:14-18 and meditate it.
          >
          > I know one thing once I went to Manjinikara Dayara fro giving Kubrabanappanam for a Hindu friend the Rev. Deacon siting at the counter told me that a Hindu name shall not be accepted. If it is so how a rev, priest can pray for the soul of a self styled or believed god whose idols are worshiped world wide.

        • C. V. Baby
          Message 4 of 10 , May 7 3:54 AM
            Dear All,

            It has been wonderful in going through the debate on this subject. It
            started with a statement of Rev. Poulose Achan. I think the matter has been stretched too much and may be the debate has finally threw a few questions:-

            1. As a true Christian, can anyone accept the principles or deeds of
            Sathya Sai Baba? The answer is definitely a big NO. A person who claims to be Bhagwan, talks about incarnation - he has no place in Christian faith.

            2. Should we appreciate any deed of Sai Baba? If he does anything to
            help the poor & needy - why not we appreciate those good work he has done for the poor and need society?

            3. Should we pray for Sai Baba? I have ready many "YES" and "NO" for
            this question. I am with the YES, but with one clarification on what should be our prayer in this regard? Remember the prayer of our Lord on the Cross. "Father, please forgive them since they do not know what they are doing". Why don't we pray "O Lord, please forgive Sai Baba since he does not know what he was teaching in this world". Our Lord taught us to pray for everone, especially for our enemies too.

            Let the debate go on - keen to hear and learn more on the subject from the members.

            Baby Dubai
            ID 4478