Today with Jesus

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 442 , May 5, 2011
      Today's Bible verse

      “Then I will go to the king, even though it is against the law, and if I must die, I must die.” (Esther 4:16)

      Risk a life to save thousands of life!

      In economics, risk-taking is the function of an entrepreneur for making profits and being successful. There is no exception in other areas of life, even in spiritual realms. The thrill of life and its happiness depends on the degree of risk taken. 'Save your own skin and watch out for the number one are mottos that reflect our world’s selfish outlook on life.' Esther’s attitude stands in bold contrast to this. She knew she had to do it, and she also knew it could cost her life, and yet she responded, "If I must die, I must die.” At the risk of her life, Esther, the Jew was ready to meet the king and plead for the cause of the entire Jews who were ordered to be killed by the king. We should have the same commitment to do what is right despite the possible consequences. Don’t forget that what we are and where we are is the result of the risk taken by somebody... by the crucifixion of Jesus, we are all saved from sin and death.

      “They were chasing a little boy about 10 years old. They caught up with him, and one them took his gun and smashed the child’s head in. They killed him.” Those are the words of Giorgio Perlasca, who witnessed this murder in Hungary in 1944. The Nazis were killing the Jews, regardless of their age. Although he was an Italian, he was able to masquerade as a top Spanish diplomat and help to save the Jews. For 3 months, Perlasca distributed letters to all the Jews he could find. The letters stated that the Jews had been granted the protection of the Spanish government. When he saw Jews being herded onto the trains headed for death, he confronted the Nazis and ordered them to return the people to him. He housed more than 5000 Jews in 11 apartment buildings where he hung Spain’s flag to protect the occupants. Historians estimate that he helped to save more than 10,000 people before his cover was blown when Spain cut off diplomatic relations with Hungary at the end of 1944.

      “If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give up your life for me, you will find it ”(Mathew 10:39). Do you try to save yourself by remaining silent rather than standing up for what is right? Decide to do what God wants, and trust him for the outcome.

      Prayer : Jesus, we remember all the Esthers who have taken the risk of their lives for truth and justice. Let us have the guts and spirit to do it. Let us make a difference in the lives of others through our sacrificial lives. We pray for the innocent people who are dying and suffering in Syria, Libya, Yemen and other parts of the world in the hands of tyrannous rulers. All we ask in the name of Jesus. Amen.

      Paulose Achen

      Toronto, Friday, 6th May 2011

    • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
      Message 442 of 442 , Oct 16, 2012