Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , May 4, 2011
      READ: James 4:7-10 Appended

      Submit to God. —James 4:7

      In the annals of US advertising history, one of the most efficient slogans
      ever is the California milk producers’ two-word question, “Got milk?” With that
      phrase, the group captured almost everyone’s attention. In surveys, the slogan
      was recognized by more than 90 percent of the people polled.
      If “Got milk?” is so good at reminding people to drink “cow juice,” perhaps we
      can create some two-word slogans to remind ourselves to live more godly lives.
      Let’s turn to James 4 and try it. This passage gives four specific guidelines.

      1. Give in! Verse 7 tells us to submit to God. Our sovereign God loves us, so
      why not let Him run the show? Submission helps us resist the devil. 2. Get
      close! Verse 8 reminds us of the value of drawing near to God. It’s up to us to
      close the gap between us and God. 3. Clean up! Verse 8 also reminds us to make
      sure our hearts are clean. That happens through confessing our sins to God. 4.
      Get down! James says we need to be humble before God (v.10). That includes
      viewing our sin as something to weep over.

      Give in! Get close! Clean up! Get down! These pairs of words may not look as
      good on a T-shirt as “Got milk?” But they sure will look good on us. —Dave
      Branon

      Lord, help me live a godly life
      Of faith and love and purity
      So those who watch my life will see
      Reflections of Your work in me. —Sper

      The most powerful testimony is a godly life.
      James 4:7-10
      7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
      8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners,
      and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your
      laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the
      Lord, and he will lift you up
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.