Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , May 2 6:52 PM
      READ: Matthew 22:34-40 Appended

      On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets. —Matthew 22:40

      Have you ever felt overwhelmed by rules and expectations? Think of how the
      Jewish people must have felt as they tried to keep up with more than 600 rules
      from the Old Testament and many more that had been imposed on them by the
      religious leaders of their day. And imagine their surprise when Jesus
      simplified the pursuit of righteousness by narrowing the list down to just
      two—“love the Lord your God” (Matt. 22:37) and “love your neighbor as yourself”
      (v.39).

      In essence, Jesus is telling us that the way God knows we love Him is by how
      we treat people. All of them. Let’s face it—loving our neighbor can be a
      challenge. But when we do it to express our love to God, we unleash a powerful
      motivation that loves whether the person deserves it or not. And as we love God
      and our neighbor, everything else falls into place. If I love my neighbor, I
      won’t bear false witness against him, covet his wealth or his wife, or steal
      from him. Loving others for God’s sake even provides the grace and strength to
      forgive those who have heaped injustices upon us.
      Who needs to see God’s love today through you? The more unlovable the person,
      the greater the statement about how much you love God! —Joe Stowell

      To love your God with all your heart,
      Your soul, your strength, your mind,
      Enables you to love someone
      Who’s hurtful and unkind. —Sper

      Loving God is the key to loving others.
      Matthew 22:34-40

      The Greatest Commandment 34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the
      Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with
      this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

      37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all
      your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest
      commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]
      40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

      Footnotes:
      1. Matthew 22:37 Deut. 6:5
      2. Matthew 22:39 Lev. 19:18
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.