Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Apr 29 6:07 PM
      READ: Job 38:1-11,31-33 Appended

      Do you know the ordinances of the heavens? Can you set their dominion over the
      earth? —Job 38:33

      For all of us who, like Job, have suffered through tragedy and then dared to
      aim our questions at God, chapter 38 of Job’s book should give us plenty to
      think about. Imagine what it must have felt like for the great man of the East
      when “out of the whirlwind” he heard God say, “Who is this who darkens counsel
      by words without knowledge? Now prepare yourself like a man; I will question
      you, and you shall answer Me” (vv.1-3). Gulp!

      Job must have felt as puny as an ant. As God unveiled His questions in the
      verses that follow, what He said was as unexpected as it was powerful. He
      didn’t really answer Job’s “why” questions. Instead, God seemed to be telling
      him to notice the power and might with which He created this world and to
      observe His ability to control every element of it. Isn’t that reason enough to
      trust God? Job should have been asking himself.

      As one example of His awesome power, God pointed to the sky and told Job to
      observe two of His awe-inspiring creations: Pleiades and Orion (v.31).
      Highlighting His grandeur and man’s relative insignificance, God mentioned two
      constellations that demonstrate power beyond our understanding.

      This is Someone we can trust. If He has the stars in His hands, surely He can
      take care of us as well. —Dave Branon

      Creator of the universe
      Who reigns in awesome majesty:
      How can it be You love and care
      For such a one as me? —Sper

      He who holds the stars in space holds His people in His hands.
      Job 38:1-11

      The LORD Speaks 1 Then the LORD spoke to Job out of the storm. He said:
      2 “Who is this that obscures my plans
      with words without knowledge?
      3 Brace yourself like a man;
      I will question you,
      and you shall answer me.
      4 “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
      Tell me, if you understand.
      5 Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
      Who stretched a measuring line across it?
      6 On what were its footings set,
      or who laid its cornerstone—
      7 while the morning stars sang together
      and all the angels[a] shouted for joy?
      8 “Who shut up the sea behind doors
      when it burst forth from the womb,
      9 when I made the clouds its garment
      and wrapped it in thick darkness,
      10 when I fixed limits for it
      and set its doors and bars in place,
      11 when I said, ‘This far you may come and no farther;
      here is where your proud waves halt’?
      Footnotes:
      1. Job 38:7 Hebrew the sons of God
      Job 38:31-33

      Listen to this passage
      31 “Can you bind the chains[a] of the Pleiades?
      Can you loosen Orion’s belt?
      32 Can you bring forth the constellations in their seasons[b]
      or lead out the Bear[c] with its cubs?
      33 Do you know the laws of the heavens?
      Can you set up God’s[d] dominion over the earth?
      Footnotes:
      1. Job 38:31 Septuagint; Hebrew beauty
      2. Job 38:32 Or the morning star in its season
      3. Job 38:32 Or out Leo
      4. Job 38:33 Or their
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.