Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Apr 28, 2011
      READ: 2 Timothy 2:23-26 Appended

      God gave them over to a debased mind. —Romans 1:28

      Recently, I listened to an audiobook by a militant advocate for atheism. As the
      author himself read his own work with spiteful sarcasm and contempt, it made me
      wonder why he was so angry.
      The Bible tells us that a rejection of God can actually lead to a more hateful
      attitude toward Him:

      “Even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over
      to a debased mind . . . [to become] haters of God” (Rom. 1:28-30).

      Turning one’s back on God does not lead to secular neutrality. Indeed, recent
      militant atheists have shown their desire to remove any reference to a Creator
      from culture.

      When we hear about atheists trying to remove crosses or the Ten Commandments
      from society, it’s easy to respond to their hatred of God with our own hatred.
      But we’re exhorted to defend the truth with an attitude of love,

      “in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant
      them repentance, so that they may know the truth” (2 Tim. 2:25).

      The next time you see the works or hear the words of a hater of God, do an
      attitude check. Then ask God for a spirit of humility and pray that the
      offender might come to the knowledge of the truth. —Dennis Fisher

      Lord, help us not respond in kind
      To those who hate and turn from You;
      Instead, help us to love and pray
      That someday they’ll accept what’s true. —Sper

      Defend the truth with love.
      2 Timothy 2:23-26

      23 Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know
      they produce quarrels. 24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but
      must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. 25 Opponents must be
      gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them
      to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and that they will come to their senses and
      escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.