Gregory of Nazianzus, Festal Oration 45, §3

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2011
      Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

      Godalways was, always is, and always will be; or rather,Godalways Is.For Was and
      Will Be are fragments of ourtime, and of changeablenature. But He
      isEternalBeing; and this is the Name He gives Himself when giving
      theOraclestoMosesin the Mount. For in Himself He sums up and contains all Being,
      having neither beginning in the past nor end in thefuture...

      like some great Sea of Being, limitless and unbounded, transcending all
      conception oftimeandnature, onlyadumbratedby themind, and that very dimly
      andscantily...notby HisEssentialsbut by HisEnvironment,one image being got from
      one source and another from another, and combined into some sort of presentation
      of thetruth, which escapes us before we have caught it, and which takes to
      flight before we have conceived it, blazing forth upon our master-part, even
      when that is cleansed, as the lightning flash which will not stay itscourse does
      upon oursight...

      inorder, as I conceive, by that part of it which we can comprehend to draw us to
      itself (for that which is altogether incomprehensible is outside the bounds
      ofhope, and not within the compass of endeavor); and by that part of It which we
      cannot comprehend to move our wonder; and as an object of wonder to become more
      an object of desire; and being desired, to purify; and purifying to make us
      likeGod; so that, when we have become like Himself,Godmay, to use a bold
      expression, hold converse with us asGod; being united to us, andknownby us; and
      that perhaps to the same extent as He alreadyknowsthose who areknownto Him.

      The DivineNature, then, is boundless and hard to understand, and all that we can
      comprehend of Him is Hisboundlessness; even though one may conceive that because
      He is of a simpleNatureHe is therefore either wholly incomprehensible or
      perfectly comprehensible. For let us farther inquire what is implied byis of a
      simpleNature?For it is quitecertainthat this simplicity is not itself itsnature,
      just as composition is not by itself theessenceof compound beings.

      Gregory of Nazianzus, Festal Oration 45,