Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Apr 25 2:28 AM
      READ: 1 Corinthians 15:1-11 Appended

      I am the resurrection and the life. —John 11:25

      Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life”! It’s one thing to make such
      a bold assertion; it’s another to back it up—and back it up Jesus did by rising
      from the dead.

      “If you believe that the Son of God died and rose again,” writes George
      MacDonald, “your whole future is full of the dawn of eternal morning, coming up
      beyond the hills of life, and full of such hope as the highest imagination for
      the poet has not a glimmer yet.”

      The Son of God died and rose again, and His resurrection is the guarantee that
      God will bring us up and out of the ground: A thinking, feeling, remembering,
      recognizable person will live forever.
      Living forever means living out the thought of eternity that God has placed in
      our hearts; meeting again one’s believing loved ones lost through separating
      death; living in a world without sorrow; seeing our Lord who loves us and gave
      everything to unite us to Him forever.

      But I see another meaning. Since we have this life and the next, we don’t have
      to “have it all” now. We can live in broken and ruined bodies for a time; we
      can endure poverty and hardship for a while; we can face loneliness, heartache,
      and pain for a season. Why? There is a second birth—life in heaven forever.
      —David Roper

      Yes, Christ the Lord is risen,
      Has come forth from the grave;
      He breaks the chains of death for you
      And now has power to save. —Woodruff

      The resurrection is the foundation of our faith.
      1 Corinthians 15:1-11

      The Resurrection of Christ 1 Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of
      the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken
      your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I
      preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

      3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ
      died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was
      raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to
      Cephas,[b] and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five
      hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still
      living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to
      all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally
      born.

      9 For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an
      apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am
      what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than
      all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. 11 Whether, then,
      it is I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.

      Footnotes:
      1. 1 Corinthians 15:3 Or you at the first
      2. 1 Corinthians 15:5 That is, Peter
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.