This is a life of love

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1039 , Jan 29, 2003
      This is a life of love -- John Ruusbroec

      God's interior stirring and touch make us hunger and strive, for the
      Spirit of God is pursuing our spirit. The more there is of the touch,
      the more there is of the hunger and striving. This is a life of love
      at the highest level of its activity.
      _____

      You should also know that if this spiritual person is to become a
      contemplative three more things are necessary: The first is that he
      must experience the depth of his being as having no ground and must
      possess it in this way; the second is that his exercises must be
      devoid of particular form or measure; and the third is that his
      turning within himself must be characterized by the enjoyment of God.
      Now take care to understand, you who wish to live in the spirit, for
      it is to you alone that I am speaking.

      The union with God which a spiritual person experiences whenever this
      union becomes manifest to his spirit is one which is without ground,
      that is, it is infinitely deep, infinitely high, and infinitely long
      and wide. In this very manifestation a person's spirit realizes that,
      by means of love, it has itself been immersed in this depth, raised
      to this height, and sent forth into this length. It feels itself to
      be wandering in this breadth, living in this unknown knowledge, and-
      through this intimate experience of union -- immersed in unity, even
      as, through all its dying, it feels itself to be immersed in the life
      of God and to be one single life with God. This is the first thing
      necessary for a contemplative life and is its very foundation.

      This gives rise to the second thing, which is that a person's
      exercises are above reason and without particular form, for God's
      Unity, which every contemplative spirit possesses in love, eternally
      calls and draws the divine Persons and all loving spirits into its
      own self. Everyone who loves experiences this attraction -- in a
      greater or lesser degree according to the measure of his love and the
      nature of his exercises. Whoever perceives this attraction and abides
      in it cannot fall into mortal sin. But a contemplative, who has
      renounced himself and all things and who experiences no contrary pull
      inasmuch as he possesses nothing as his own but remains empty of all
      things, can constantly enter the inmost part of his spirit in a state
      of bareness and freedom from images. There an eternal light is
      revealed to him, and in this light he experiences the eternal call of
      God's Unity. He also feels himself to be an eternal fire of love,
      which desires above all else to be one with God. [[to be continued]]

      -- John Ruusbroec (1293-1381),
      "John Ruusbroec - The Spiritual Espousals and Other Works",
      Classics of Western Spirituality, Paulist Press
    • Jaison
      Message 1039 of 1039 , Sep 21 9:09 AM
        Dear all
        regards