Rev. Fr. George Ireland's posting

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2011
      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      This refers to the posting of Respected George Achen from Ireland regarding
      the veneration of the cross on Good Friday and usage of the Linen to cover
      the cross.

      The bronze Serpent raised by Moses on command of God Almighty was a shadow
      of the cross on which Lord Jesus, our savior and redeemer was crucified. In
      that case we cannot find fault with the act of Kind Hezekiah, as he had
      enough and worthy reasons to do so. When we venerate the cross on Good
      Friday, we are not worshipping or honoring the wooden cross, where as all
      sorts of venerations for our Savior and Redeemer, who sacrificed himself on
      the wooden cross. It was only God Almighty’s plan for the sacrifice on the
      cross, so that the blood from the Holy wounds might flow down to the skulls
      of Adam and his future generations till the time of our Lord Jesus, were
      heaped in the cave under the Mount of Golgotha. The Holy Scripture certifies
      that the rock on which the cross of our Lord was erected was broken
      immediately after the crucifixion. The gap occurred soon on the breakage is
      still visible to all who might visit Golgotha. In that case there is no
      problem for venerating the cross on Good Friday. Whenever we see the cross
      or make the sign of cross, we feel the presence of our Lord, who has saved
      us all by granting His own flesh and blood. The incense that we offer before
      a cross is not for the cross but for our Lord and God who utilized the cross
      as instrumental for His master plan of Salvation of entire mankind and the
      creation. The cross is the sign of our victory over the Satan and death. It
      is the mightiest weapon to fight against the evil powers.

      It is true that it is mentioned in the Bible that Joseph of Arimathia had
      covered the divine body of our Lord Jesus in Linen. Linen is a term usually
      used commonly for the cloths. (Kindly refer the saying “wash one’s dirty
      linen in public.” No body knows whether the Linen made of flax, the special
      type of cloth mentioned by respected Achen was available at the time of Lord
      Jesus. The Holy Church insists to cover the cross in white cloth only but it
      do not restrict from using Linen instead of cotton. Those who could afford
      to have the linen made of flax easily could use the same for the purpose of
      covering the cross on Good Friday. Let others use white cotton or semi
      cotton or the easily available neat cloth piece.

      With thanks, regards and best wishes for a Happy Easter,

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril
      Kottayam.
      ID No- 905