Blessed Memorial of Mor Athanasius Yeshue Samuel

  • Rev. Fr. Mathai Varkey Puthukkunnathu
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2011
      Dearly beloved SOCM Forum Members / Readers,

      "Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation." Heb:13:7

      The Holy Syrian Orthodox Church celebrates the 16th Anniversary of the Blessed Memorial of Late Lamented Archbishop His Eminence Mor Athanasius Yeshue Samuel on the 16th of April. Thirumeni's illustrious life and self-sacrificing services as the Archbishop of the Syrian Orthodox Church in the Unites States and Canada brought about great recognition and a solid foundation for the Syrian Orthodox Church in the western hemisphere. The legacy of His Eminence also facilitated a special head start for the Malankara Faithful in North America.

      The Malankara Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church in North America is one of many noteworthy bequests of Mor Athanasius Yeshue Samuel. Since the early years of his service in North America, His Eminence maintained a close relationship and a warm corner for the Keralite Syrian Christians and made him available to their spiritual and community welfare.

      From many who tread before us in the Lord's service to several of the present Malankara Archdiocesan Clergy and Faithful, including my humble self, were fortunate enough to enjoy and cherish that distinguished paternal care, hospitality, nurturing and unparalleled spiritual leadership of His Eminence and those are currently cherished with nostalgic feelings by many.

      His Eminence was born on a Christmas Day in 1909 and passed on to the life eternal on an Easter Sunday (Gregorian) in 1995 and was entombed in the St. Mary's Cathedral, Losser in the Netherlands. Together with few others from the United States, my humble self were providential to attend the memorable funeral services, led by His Holiness, our beloved Patriarch, Moran Mor Ignatius Zakka I Iwas. May the Lord keep the departed soul among His Preferred Ones and let the blessed memory of H. E. Mor Athanasius Yeshue Samuel be a strong hold to all of us.

      In His Eminence' Blessed Memory – 2011.

      Fr. Mathai Varkey Puthukkunnathu
      Vicar, St. Ignatius Elias III Syrian Orthodox Church, Atlanta, USA.