Jan-Lok Pal Bill : Hunger strike by : Anna Hazare
- Whole word is concenrtated on Jandhar Manthar at Delhi and Anna Hazare- Jan Lok-Pal Bill What is this just have a look
Dear Responsible Indian,
Anna is demanding enactment of a strong anti-corruption law - Jan Lokpal Bill - to ensure swiftness and certainty of punishment to the corrupt.
Last time when Anna sat on fast
6 corrupt ministers in Maharashtra had to resign
400 corrupt officers were dismissed from job
In 2002 - Maharashtra RTI Act was passed
In 2006 - Central Government withdrew its proposal to amend Central RTI Act
Now Anna is fasting to demand Jan Lokpal Bill.�
Salient features of Jan Lokpal Bill
Drafted by Justice Santosh Hegde, Prashant Bhushan (Son of Shanti Bhushan) and Arvind Kejriwal , this Bill has been refined on the basis of feedback received from public on website and after series of public consultations. It has also been vetted by and is supported by Shanti Bhushan (Leading Adv. and Constitutional Expert), J M Lyngdoh (Ex. Elect. Commissioner of India), Kiran Bedi-IPS, (Retd. IG), Anna Hazare (Leading Social Activist) etc. It was sent to the PM and all CMs on 1st December.
1. An institution called LOKPAL at the centre and LOKAYUKTA in each state will be set up
2. Like Supreme Court and Election Commission, they will be completely independent of the governments. No minister or bureaucrat will be able to influence their investigations.
3. Cases against corrupt people will not linger on for years anymore: Investigations in any case will have to be completed in one year. Trial should be completed in next one year so that the corrupt politician, officer or judge is sent to jail within two years.
4. The loss that a corrupt person caused to the government will be recovered at the time of conviction.
5. How will it help a common citizen: If any work of any citizen is not done in prescribed time in any government office, Lokpal will impose financial penalty on guilty officers, which will be given as compensation to the complainant.
6. So, you could approach Lokpal if your ration card or passport or voter card is not being made or if police is not registering your case or any other work is not being done in prescribed time. Lokpal will have to get it done in a month's time. You could also report any case of corruption to Lokpal like ration being siphoned off, poor quality roads been constructed or panchayat funds being siphoned off. Lokpal will have to complete its investigations in a year, trial will be over in next one year and the guilty will go to jail within two years.
7.But won't the government appoint corrupt and weak people as Lokpal members? That won't be possible because its members will be selected by judges, citizens and constitutional authorities and not by politicians, through a completely transparent and participatory process.
8. What if some officer in Lokpal becomes corrupt? The entire functioning of Lokpal/ Lokayukta will be completely transparent. Any complaint against any officer of Lokpal shall be investigated and the officer dismissed within two months.
9. What will happen to existing anti-corruption agencies? CVC, departmental vigilance and anti-corruption branch of CBI will be merged into Lokpal. Lokpal will have complete powers and machinery to independently investigate and prosecute any officer, judge or politician.
PLS CIRCULATE THIS MAIL WIDELY
(This movement is neither affiliated nor aligned to any political party)
Binu Joshwa, Mumbai.
From the desk of the Moderators:
Please sign your messages with member ID. If you do not have a member ID, please send your details including contact number to moderators (SOCM-FORUMfirstname.lastname@example.org) and obtain a member ID BEFORE POSTING ANY MORE MESSAGES in SOCM. Thank you for your cooperation.