Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Apr 6, 2011
      READ: 2 Timothy 2:1-7 Appended

      No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life. —2
      Timothy 2:4

      Felipe Massa of Brazil should have won the Formula One Grand Prix in Singapore
      in September 2008. But as he drove off from a refueling stop while in the lead,
      the fuel hose was still attached. By the time his team removed the hose, he had
      lost so much time that he finished 13th.
      The apostle Paul warned Timothy of another kind of attachment that would cause
      him defeat—“the affairs of this life” (2 Tim. 2:4). He urged Timothy not to
      let anything slow him down or distract him from the cause of his Lord and
      Master.

      There are many attractive things in our world that are so easy to get
      entangled with—hobbies, sports, TV, computer games. These may start off as
      “refueling” activities, but later they can take up so much of our time and
      thought that they interfere with the purpose for which God created us: to share
      the good news of Christ, serve Him with our gifts, and bring glory to Him.

      Paul told Timothy why he ought not be entangled with this world’s affairs: So
      that he could “please Him” (v.4). If your desire is to please the Lord Jesus,
      you will want to stay untangled from the world. As John reminds us, “The world
      is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides
      forever” (1 John 2:17). —C. P. Hia

      Although we live in this world, we must declare our allegiance to heaven.

      2 Timothy 2:1-7

      The Appeal Renewed 1 You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ
      Jesus. 2 And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses
      entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others. 3 Join
      with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4 No one serving as a
      soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his
      commanding officer. 5 Similarly, anyone who competes as an athlete does not
      receive the victor’s crown except by competing according to the rules. 6 The
      hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops. 7
      Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this.
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.