Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2011
      READ: 1 Corinthians 3:1-15 Appended

      When one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not
      carnal? —1 Corinthians 3:4

      Superstars abound in today’s culture. Great soccer players can create such
      excitement that fans have been known to riot in the bleachers. Popular
      musicians have fans who stand with adoration throughout entire concerts. And
      Hollywood celebrities hire bodyguards to protect themselves from adoring
      stalkers.

      The first-century Corinthian believers had become divided over their own
      “spiritual superstars.” Paul viewed such favoritism as a reflection of the
      sinful nature in a believer’s unyielded heart. “For when one says, ‘I am of
      Paul,’ and another, ‘I am of Apollos,’ are you not carnal?” he asked (1 Cor.
      3:4).
      The apostle’s teaching on how we view Christian leaders puts the topic in a
      biblical perspective that provides mutual appreciation for those who minister:
      “I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase” (v.6). Each person did
      his part: Paul had planted spiritual seed through evangelism, and Apollos had
      watered it with his eloquent Bible teaching. But it was God alone who made the
      seed of spiritual life grow. He alone is the “superstar.”

      We should be careful not to put any Christian leader on a pedestal. Instead,
      let’s appreciate how God is using a variety of spiritual leaders for His honor
      and His glory. —Dennis Fisher

      Lord, give us wisdom. We know it’s good to follow the
      example of our godly leaders, but help us not
      to think so highly of them that we worship them
      instead of You. Amen.

      Each person has his place in God’s service, and only God deserves the glory.
      1 Corinthians 3:1-15

      The Church and Its Leaders 1 Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as
      people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants
      in Christ. 2 I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it.
      Indeed, you are still not ready. 3 You are still worldly. For since there is
      jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like
      mere humans? 4 For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow
      Apollos,” are you not mere human beings?

      5 What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom
      you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. 6 I planted the
      seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. 7 So neither the one
      who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things
      grow. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they
      will each be rewarded according to their own labor. 9 For we are co-workers in
      God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.

      10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and
      someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. 11 For no
      one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus
      Christ. 12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly
      stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because
      the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire
      will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built
      survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder
      will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through
      the flames.