Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Apr 6, 2011
      READ: Psalm 34:1-10 Appended

      Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good . . . . Those who seek the Lord shall
      not lack any good thing. —Psalm 34:8,10

      One afternoon Angela gave her young daughter four jellybeans and let her know
      that was all the candy she was going to receive.

      After practically inhaling the first three candies, Eliana lingered over the
      final one. She sucked on it, took it out of her mouth, bit into it, sucked on
      it some more, then gnawed at the outer shell. Knowing that this was her last
      jellybean, she took a full 45 minutes to ingest the treat completely.

      Angela observed her little girl with amusement. It occurred to her that she
      was watching Eliana learn the value of savoring—enjoying taste and texture and
      learning to draw out every possible bit of flavor from the pleasurable
      experience.

      When we read, “Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good” (Ps. 34:8), we can be
      sure that God wants us to “savor” His presence. He allows us to gain intimate
      and satisfying knowledge of Him. And when we meditate on His Word, we will draw
      out a deeper understanding of who He is (Ezek. 3:1-3). As we taste His goodness
      and love, He will reveal the distinctive flavor of His creativity,
      sovereignty, holiness, and faithfulness.

      Our Father must look on with enjoyment as we learn how to enjoy and savor Him.
      —Cindy Hess Kasper

      Oh, taste the goodness of the Lord
      And savor all that He has done;
      Draw close and give your praise to Him—
      The holy, sovereign, faithful One. —Sper
      Our greatest privilege is to enjoy God’s presence

      Psalm 34:1-10
      Of David. When he pretended to be insane before Abimelek, who drove him
      away, and he left.
      1 I will extol the LORD at all times;
      his praise will always be on my lips.
      2 I will glory in the LORD;
      let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
      3 Glorify the LORD with me;
      let us exalt his name together.
      4 I sought the LORD, and he answered me;
      he delivered me from all my fears.
      5 Those who look to him are radiant;
      their faces are never covered with shame.
      6 This poor man called, and the LORD heard him;
      he saved him out of all his troubles.
      7 The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him,
      and he delivers them.
      8 Taste and see that the LORD is good;
      blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
      9 Fear the LORD, you his holy people,
      for those who fear him lack nothing.
      10 The lions may grow weak and hungry,
      but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.
      Footnotes:
      1. Psalm 34:1 This psalm is an acrostic poem, the verses of which begin with
      the successive letters of the Hebrew alphabet.
      2. Psalm 34:1 In Hebrew texts 34:1-22 is numbered 34:2-23.
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.