Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Apr 3, 2011
      READ: Acts 11:19-26 Appended

      He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were added to the Lord. Acts 11:24

      During Major Gen. Mark Graham's 2 years as commander of Fort Carson, Colorado, he became known and loved for the way he treated others. One US Army colleague said: I have never come across another general officer who was so compassionate and so concerned about the well-being of soldiers and their families. After losing one son to suicide and another who was killed in action, Mark and his wife, Carol, dedicated themselves to helping soldiers and their families cope with service-related stress, depression, and loss.

      In the book of Acts, a follower of Christ was well known for his care and concern toward others. His name was Joseph, but in the early church, the apostles called him Barnabas's son of encouragement. It was Barnabas who vouched for the newly converted Saul when others doubted the sincerity of his faith (Acts 9:26-27). Later, Barnabas brought Saul from Tarsus to teach the believers
      in Antioch (11:25-26). And it was Barnabas who wanted to give John Mark a second chance after his failure on a previous missionary journey (15:36-38).

      Compassion is an inner feeling resulting in outward action. It should be our daily uniform of service (Col. 3:12). By God's grace, may we be known for it. David McCasland

      Lord, help us be compassionate
      To people in their grief;
      Then tell them of the love of Christ,
      Who'll bring their souls relief. - Sper

      True compassion is love in action.
      Acts 11:19-26

      The Church in Antioch 19 Now those who had been scattered by the persecution that broke out when Stephen was killed traveled as far as Phoenicia, Cyprus and Antioch, spreading the word only among Jews.
      20 Some of them, however, men from Cyprus and Cyrene, went to Antioch and began to speak to Greeks also, telling them the good news about the Lord Jesus.
      21 The Lord's hand was with them, and a great number of people believed and turned to the Lord.
      22 News of this reached the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch.
      23 When he arrived and saw what the grace of God had done, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts.
      24 He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord.
      25 Then Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul,
      26 and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11 1:18 AM
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.