Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Apr 2, 2011
      READ: 1 Corinthians 11:27-29 Appended

      Let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup.
      —1 Corinthians 11:28

      Every year I have a physical—that periodic visit to the doctor’s office where
      I’m poked and prodded, screened and studied. It is something that can be easy
      to dread, and even to fear. We aren’t sure what the tests will show or what the
      doctors will say. Still, we know that we need this evaluation to understand our
      physical well-being and what is needed as we move forward.

      The same is true spiritually in the life of the Christ-follower. We need to
      pause from time to time and reflect on the condition of our hearts and lives.

      One place for an important self-study is at the Lord’s Table. Paul wrote to
      the Corinthians, some of whom were eating in an unworthy manner: “Let a man
      examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup” (1 Cor.
      11:28). In the remembrance of Christ’s death for us, there can be a sobering
      clarity of thought and understanding, for as we consider the price Jesus paid
      for us, it is the best time to consider the condition of our heart and our
      relationships. Then, with honest understanding of our spiritual well-being, we
      can turn to Him for the grace we need to move forward in His name.

      Is it time for your checkup? —Bill Crowder

      Search me, O God, my heart discern;
      Try me, my inmost thoughts to learn.
      Help me to keep from sin, I pray,
      Guarding my mind throughout this day. —Anon.

      Self-examination is one test from which no Christian is excused.
      1 Corinthians 11:27-29

      27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an
      unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the
      Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and
      drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body
      of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.