India wins the world cup

  • Rev. Fr. Jerry Kurian Kodiattu
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2011
      Dear moderators,

      Congratulations to Team India for winning the cricket world cup 2011. We had to wait 28 long years to achieve this the second time. Many people gave up many things to see their team win. This is a post I wrote just before the match and is meant for making us think what cricket in our country is and what it should be

      http://jerryachensworld.blogspot.com/2011/04/cricket-is-not-about-being-perfect.html

      Warm regards,
      Jerry achen.
      (Fr. Jerry Kurian Kodiattu)
      I.D. no. 4500
    • MG Daniel
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2011
        I feel sorry of Rev. Fr. Jerry Kurien for wasting time and space for such a useless game like Cricket. I wonder how they call it as world cup when the number of participants are only under a score. I can't understand an ordained priest sitting before the TV ignoring the Evening Prayers that too Sunday evening and during the Holy Lent Days. I am taught that Saturday evening is Sunday for our church and after the evening and Suthara the priest who has to enter into the Baskudisha for the Holy Eucharist thinking and writing on Cricket won't be able to meditate the Gospel and the message for the Holy Mass.

        As far as I know the great Lent Days are for a retreat and to be with God like Moses lying on the belly for forty days and forty nights before the Creator with out food and water before receiving the Commandments. What does the Church teach us on Lent to avoid certain food and do all other things as one please. To abstain from food is to abstain from all kinds of worldly pleasures including a soft bed, and to read the Bible and to meditate days and nights. I know it is not possible but we should at least avoid some pleasures. See Job 31:1 " I made a covenant with mine eyes: why then should I think upon a maid. "

        what to do during these days is mentioned in our Prayers;
        " Nalpathu Naal Upavasika
        Vishakunnavanappam Koduka
        Ishay Suthane pol dianm
        Ezhu vattam prarthikka "

        Once this game starts its like cancer it will kill the personality of our children. This was started during the public exams for X,XI & XII since our result is 97% due to the policy of the misistry our children may get all pass. Now the IPL will begin to destroy the young generation. Why should we praise those who get millions of rupees as reward for their work on the field. If it is a mature we can say that they are sweating for the country.

        this game is an addiction to Asian countries and now there is no escape from it also. Let it be but please our respected priests and other church leaders must stay away from promoting such silly things and Forum should not waste its space on it.

        All Christians must meditate the following verse during days and nights if you didn't get the meaning of the verse please asks some elders and digest it

        Gal 4:9 But now after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, where unto ye desire again to the bondage?

        It is very important that a christian is known of God, see the usage of Rather in this verse. Since we are known of God....!!!

        with Prayers and Love in God,

        NB: I am sorry about writing something against a scholarly and ordained Priest of our church,

        MG Daniel
        M. G Daniel
        4569
      • Rev. Fr. Jerry Kurian Kodiattu
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2011
          Dear Mr. M.G. Daniel,

          The beauty of our church is that everyone is a historian, theologian, counsellor and administrator (me included). Keeping with that tradition, let me thank you for your insights on cricket and why the church and priests should ignore this game. I understand that you have a view point on cricket and that you are concerned that it is ruining the youngsters of this country. I also gather that in our church we give respect to our elders and therefore take their views into good consideration. I have no idea how old you are but whether you are old or young, I have totally accepted your concern and will see what I and other fellow priests, who may have the same view points as I, can do about it. Lent is indeed a time for humility, acceptance, working for the poor, fighting caste and gender inequalities, safeguarding God’s creation, growing spiritually, showing concern and praying for others is followed. But before we agree or disagree on what you have said, have you read my post? I do not wish to question you whether you have or not but what about the below written sentences in the post.

          (http://jerryachensworld.blogspot.com/2011/04/cricket-is-not-about-being-perfect.html)

          “In a cricket mad nation there are other voices too. Those who say that after all cricket is but a sport like any other, that spending a whole day in front of the television is a waste of time, what is special in cricket when the national game in India is hockey and other sports and games are neglected by the government?, what has the cash rich Indian cricket board done for other cash strapped associations and the poor in this country?, and aren’t cricketers pampered brats who by and large enjoy life and play with the emotions of a billion people?”

          Again…

          “But cricket is not about perfection and neither are cricketers perfect. This obsession we have brings about impractical and unbelievable acts. But the cricket world cup final is after all just a match like any other. The thrill of having India play is of course there but it should not make one crazy.”

          This is then followed by the points

          1. *Cricket is part of an industry.* This includes different brands,
          merchandising, advertisement, and lots of money at stake. An industry always has its own compulsions and wants. Cricket then becomes a part of these and the game goes into the back ground.
          *2. Cricketers are human beings.* The usage cricket God is only a usage. Cricketers are as vulnerable and susceptible to failure as any other human being. Putting someone on a pedestal puts unwarranted pressure on him/her.
          *3. A sport or game should not have nationalist overtures.* The greatness of sport is that it can bring people together and break boundaries. When it is used to further nationalist ambitions, it loses the very purpose for which it exists.
          *4. Cricket means money and betting.* A sport like cricket means a lot of money in a place like the subcontinent. Money brings in the possibility of betting and betting brings in the pressure of fixing matches. There have been a lot of allegations and no team is free from such allegations.
          *5. Cricket is entertainment.* When we are able to detach cricket from
          nationalism, patriotism, diplomacy and pride, we end up with cricket as entertainment. Cricketers are entertainers. And we see cricket to relax and entertain ourselves. The IPL itself is a concept which has caught on to entertainment as its unique selling proposition (USP). When we see it this way we will be entertained thoroughly.
          *6. Cricket should give back what it receives.* The cricket governing body the BCCI (The Board of Control for cricket in India) is a cash rich body which spends under 10% of its revenues on development of cricket. Then what does it spend its money on? As spectators we should pressurise the BCCI to give back what it receives from the people of this country. The pay back could be in the way of scholarships for youngsters from poor backgrounds, building housing for the poor, adopting whole villages and offering its money for building facilities there, providing health care to poor cricketers and their family and so on.

          I am happy that I was able to analyse the game of cricket this way precisely because I have been able to experience the meaning of lent in our church. So I have to be all the more thankful to the church.

          Forgive me for doubting whether you have read my post but I can’t help
          feeling that you have totally got my write up wrong. I have written one thing and you are saying something totally different. You, like many others in the past have also mentioned that the 'forum should not waste its space on things like this'. Forget this particular instance. But even otherwise, the SOCM forum as far as I have noticed has tried to include all kinds of opinions and thoughts and I am thankful that the moderators of the forum follow a very open attitude for allowing posts in the forum. Is it right during lent to arm twist them into following what we wish and want? So I have read, listened to and appreciate your concerns. We can always continue the dialogue. God bless. Jerry achen.

          (Fr. Jerry Kurian Kodiattu)
          I.D. no. 4500
        • Mathew G M
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7, 2011
            Dear M G Daniel,

            Are you saying that all sporting events are bad? Sports does not destroy the young generation. There is a lot to learn from sportsmanship. We don't want the young generation to grow up as book worms. They need to have a fully rounded personality.

            Now coming back to the lent. If we observe the Great Lent for the entire 49 days I am sure it will benefit us. But if someone observes it only for the last 25 days, or just the last 15 days or just the last 7 days, please don't be surprised if you find out that their reward in heaven is going to be the same as the one who observed it 49 days.

            I am not discouraging anybody from observing the Great Lent, but we should not judge those who don't observe it with the same rigor as we observe it. The moment we do it, we loose what ever spiritual gain we have gained thrugh the Great Lent.

            Forgive me a sinner and pray for me.

            In Christ,
            Mathew G M
            0929