Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Apr 1, 2011
      READ: Hebrews 5:12–6:2 Appended

      By this time you ought to be teachers. —Hebrews 5:12

      The eaglets were hungry, and Mom and Dad seemed to be ignoring them. The
      oldest of the three decided to solve his hunger problem by gnawing on a twig.
      Apparently it wasn’t too tasty, because he soon abandoned it.

      What intrigued me about this little drama, which was being broadcast by webcam
      from Norfolk Botanical Garden, was that a big fish lay just behind the eaglets.
      But they had not yet learned to feed themselves. They still relied on their
      parents to tear their food in tiny pieces and feed it to them. Within a few
      weeks, however, the parents will teach the eaglets how to feed themselves—one
      of their first survival lessons. If the eaglets don’t learn this skill, they
      will never be able to survive on their own.

      The author of Hebrews spoke of a similar problem in the spiritual realm.
      Certain people in the church were not growing in spiritual maturity. They had
      not learned to distinguish between good and bad (Heb. 5:14). Like the eaglet,
      they hadn’t learned the difference between a twig and a fish. They still needed
      to be fed by someone else when they should have been feeding not only
      themselves but others as well (v.12).

      While receiving spiritual food from preachers and teachers is good, spiritual
      growth and survival also depend on knowing how to feed ourselves. —Julie
      Ackerman Link

      You’ve given us Your Spirit, Lord,
      To help us grow, mature, and learn,
      To teach us from Your written Word,
      So truth from error we’ll discern. —Sper

      Spiritual growth requires the solid food of God’s Word.
      Hebrews 5:12-6:2

      12 In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to
      teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk,
      not solid food! 13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not
      acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14 But solid food is for the
      mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from
      evil.

      Hebrews 6
      1 Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be
      taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from
      acts that lead to death,[a] and of faith in God, 2 instruction about cleansing
      rites,[b] the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal
      judgment.

      Footnotes:
      1. Hebrews 6:1 Or from useless rituals
      2. Hebrews 6:2 Or about baptisms
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11 1:18 AM
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.