Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Mar 31, 2011
      READ: John 14:1-10 Appended

      Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

      On a teaching trip outside the US, my wife and I were denied entry into our country of destination because of visa problems. Although we were under the assumption our visas had been correctly issued by the country we planned to visit, they were deemed invalid. Despite the efforts of several government officials, nothing could be done. We weren't allowed in. We were placed on the next flight back to the States. No amount of intervention could change the fact that we did not have the proper validation for entrance.

      That experience with my visa was inconvenient, but it can't begin to compare with the ultimate entry rejection. I'm speaking of those who will stand before God without valid entry into heaven. What if they were to present the record of their religious efforts and good deeds? That would not be enough. What if they were to call character references? That wouldn't work. Only one thing can give anyone entry into heaven. Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life.
      No one comes to the Father except through Me� (John 14:6).

      Christ alone, through His death and resurrection, paid the price for our sins. And only He can give us valid entry into the presence of the Father. Have you put your faith in Jesus? Make sure you have a valid entry into heaven. - Bill Crowder

      There aren't many ways into heaven;
      The Bible says there's only one;
      Good works won't gain anyone entrance;
      It's only through faith in God's Son. - Sper

      Only through Christ can we enter the Father's presence.

      John 14:1-10 (New International Version)
      John 14
      Jesus Comforts His Disciples 1 Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[a]; believe also in me.
      2 My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?
      3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
      4 You know the way to the place where I am going. Jesus the Way to the Father
      5 Thomas said to him, Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?�
      6 Jesus answered, I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
      7 If you really know me, you will know[b] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.
      8 Philip said, Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.
      9 Jesus answered: Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, �Show us the Father?
      10 Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority.
      Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

      Footnotes:
      1. John 14:1 Or Believe in God
      2. John 14:7 Some manuscripts If you really knew me, you would know

      Dr.Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Cheeranchira, Changanaserry,
      Kerala, Pin: 686 106 India
      Tel. +91 481 272 4353

      Cell: +91 944 620 3002
      Director: Theeram, India Center for Social Change http://www.icsctheeram.org
      Director, Mor Adai Study Centre http://www.moradaistudycenter.org
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.