Parumala Pally Vs Parumala church

  • Vatachal Thomas John
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2011
      Greetings.

      The web-site of the Parumala Pally (Jacobite) ends with ".org" whereas that of the Parumala Church (Orthodox) ends with ".com". Am I correct if I were to say that "org" stands for organisation while "com" is commerce for short ? If so is it proper for any of the Churches and parish churches as also philanthropic institutions as well as our prelates to have web-sites under the category of commercial concerns rather than under the category of organisations ?

      V T John
      ID 3085
    • Jacob Mathew
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2011
        Dear Mr. John:

        When internet was in the infant stages, there were only 5 domain
        extensions .com, .net, .org, .edu, and .gov.

        The vision at that time was that .com will be used by all commercial
        entities, .net by network (communication) firms, .org by organizations and non-profits, .edu for educational institutions and .gov for government entities. There were restrictions on issuing .edu and .gov; but the other three were open to public.

        As Internet evolved, there was a big demand for new domain names and
        people started preferring .com; somehow .com became a generic internet extension in many people's mind. (Remember dot com bust or dot com bubble?)

        At this phase of the game, if you register a .org name, the people will type in .com automatically and will miss your website completely. Otherwise, you will have to register both names so this won't happen.

        Although .org is a preferred name, but if you want to reach our people, you need to have .com. My suggestion is that you register both and have one pointing to the other one.

        In HIS service
        Dr. Jacob Mathew
        http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/ or http://www.MalankaraWorld.org/
        Connecting Christian faithfuls worldwide.
        Baselios Church, Ohio
        Member ID: 0956

        ------
        Introducing ... Malankara World ...
        Connecting Christian faithfuls worldwide. It is a Digital Library.
        It is a Digital Church and more. Check it at:
        http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/