Journey of Lent 4: Lent Warfare

  • Rev John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2011
      Journey of Lent 4: Lent Warfare

      This is the fourth sermon in the Lenten Journey of 2011. This week, Fr. John Brian gives us a truly homiletic sermon - verse by verse - through the reading appointed from end of Romans Chapter 7 (verses 14-25). This passage is like a prescription for the spiritual illness of our age.

      This is discussed in connection with the Gospel story of the Canaanite woman who would accept "crumbs from the table." This brings to light one of the paradoxes of the New Testament: how Jesus Christ came to Hebrew people specifically, yet died for all of us.

      The Lenten Journey is a journey to the cross. This week we set up the
      cross at the top of the hill (which will become Golgotha) and we are renewed and refreshed by the healing power of the cross, reminded of Moses, arms held in cruciform to ensure safety of the people of God.

      This sermon lesson uses the readings and services appointed from the
      Malankara Syrian lectionary and was given on Sunday, March 27, 2011 by Fr. John Brian Paprock at Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Mission Chapel, Madison, Wisconsin.

      "We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency may be of the power of God and not of us." 2 Corinthians 4:7.

      Listen on-line here:
      http://frjohbrian.blogspot.com/2011/03/journey-of-lent-4-lent-warfare.html