Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Mar 28 7:29 AM
      READ: Philippians 2:4-11 Appended

      Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Philippians 2:4

      At the 2009 Kansas high school state track championship, an unusual thing happened. The team that won the girls 3,200-meter relay was disqualified. But what happened next was even more unusual. The team that was awarded the state championship by default turned right around and gave their medals to the team that had been disqualified.

      The first school, St. Mary's Colgan, lost first place because judges ruled that a runner had stepped out of her lane as she handed off the baton. That meant the second team, Maranatha Academy, moved up to first. After receiving their medals, the girls from Maranatha saw the downtrodden looks on the faces of the St. Mary's girls, so they gave them their individual medals.

      Why did they do this? As Maranatha's coach Bernie Zarda put it: Our theme for the year was to run not for our glory, but for God's glory. As a result of the girls action, their story was told throughout Kansas, and God's name was lifted up.

      When we set aside our own interests and accomplishments to recognize that it's better to care for the interests of others (Phil. 2:4), we see God's name glorified. Acting with grace and kindness toward others is one of the best ways to point people to God. - Dave Branon

      Love is not blind but looks
      Abroad through others eyes,
      And asks not, Must I give?�
      But, May I sacrifice? Ziegler

      When we love God, we will serve people.
      Philippians 2:4-11

      4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

      5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

      6 Who, being in very nature[a] God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;

      7 rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature[b] of a servant, being made in human likeness.
      8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself
      by becoming obedient to death even death on a cross!
      9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
      and gave him the name that is above every name,
      10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
      in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
      11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
      to the glory of God the Father.
      Footnotes:
      1. Philippians 2:6 Or in the form of
      2. Philippians 2:7 Or the form
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.