Syria's uprising and our Patriarcate

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 26, 2011
      “Syria’s uprising and shifting of Patriarchate”

      The entire migration of Christian community from the fundamentalist theocratic Muslim Countries is imminent. The world events are giving a clear-cut warning that the Christians are not safe in the midst of violent intolerant countries of Islam. Damascus is the headquarters of our church and our supreme head has been staying there. The violence is being spread to all over Syria even to Damascus. So the safety and
      security of our supreme head is questionable. Moreover our population is dwindling day by day in Syria. Apart from that there is no special sanctity to keep the patriarchate in one place like Rome for the Pope. Why not then the supreme council of our Church has to think about the shifting of the Patriarchate from Damascus to some other places like Kerala- in India, Jerusalem in Israel, California in USA or other free democratic countries with a good number Syriac Christians.

      Fr. Paulose V V
    • Jai Abe Cheriyan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2011
        Respected Pauloseachan,

        The shifting of our Patriarchate to a democratic nation could be a matter of discussion in the upcoming Universal Synod; a resolution by a participating member might be necessary, hope that you could persuade somebody.

        Due to the historic, cultural and Syriac background it might be difficult to shift the Patriarchate to Kerala or USA. Though Middle East is an ideal place, thorough research and discussion is required in this matter in the background of wide protests in this region, even Jerusalem might not be a safe haven (blasts are happening there) though it is an ideal place which could be considered as our headquarters. I support your opinion of shifting the Patriarchate from Syria- a nation treated as anti-US,anti-Israel, anti-democratic,pro-terrorist and having limited freedom(even internet access and telephone conversation are under observation/restricted in this country). Remember, our Church was forced to change its name as Universal "Syriac" Orthodox Church because of this nation's negative stature among other nations.

        By God's Grace the waves of current protests or its impact aren't reached our Syriac Orthodox Patriarchate or surrounding places so far, which is located in a Christian dominated district and a couple of miles away from Damascus.

        Thanks & regards,

        In HIS Love,
        Jai Abe Cheriyan
        # 0914.

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Rev. Fr. Paulose V V wrote:

        > "Syria's uprising and shifting of Patriarchate"
        >
        > The entire migration of Christian community from the fundamentalist theocratic Muslim Countries is imminent. The world events are giving a clear-cut warning that the Christians are not safe in the midst of violent intolerant countries of Islam. Damascus is the headquarters of our church and our supreme head has been staying there. The violence is being spread to all over Syria even to Damascus. So the safety and
      • M. G Daniel
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 30, 2011
          The uprising in Syria is closely observed by all Syrian Orthodox Church members.I feel uneasy when I read the suggestion to shift the Patriarchate fearing the radicals. I know it was shifted once or twice early. Will you please go through Mat. 28:20 "Teaching them to observe whatsoever I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen"

          If we select two words from this verse " I AM " these two words Jesus uttered in the garden of gatsamene, John 18:6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I AM he, they went backward and fell to the ground.

          The same two words were spoken to Moses also in Exod.3:14 And God said unto Moses I AM THAT I AM and he said, thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath send me unto you.

          Once we are sure that HE is faithful (2Tim. 2:13) If we beleive not, yet he abaidth faithful: He cannot deny himself.

          In conclution please go through, Rev.2:10 Fear none of those things though shalt suffer, behold the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried, and you shall have tribulation ten days: be though faithful unto death, and please don't forget Chev. Thomas Daniel (Reji), Chev. Biju Daniel, Mr. Nibu John etc. for their excellent leadership in keeping our faith under the sword of Democlese.

          May God Bless

          M. G Daniel
          4569

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2011
            Dear sri M. G Daniel,

            Your points are correct. Let me make clear why I support the opinion of
            Rev. Fr. Paulose to shift the Patriarchate is not fearing the radicals,
            the reason is the dictotor like autocratic form of government in syria,
            because I believe democracy is ideal for true Christians.Also,Antioch is
            not in Syria at present.

            Antakya (Arabic: انطاكية‎, Anṭākyä from
            Syriac: ܐܢܛܝܘܟܝܐ, Anṭiokia; Greek:
            Ἀντιόχεια, Antiókheia or Antiócheia) is the seat
            of the Hatay Province in southern Turkey, near the border with
            Syria.Known as Antioch in ancient times, the city has historical
            significance for Christianity, as it was the place where the followers
            of Jesus Christ were called Christians for the first time.

            However we can not ignore HH's interest in Syria as well.His Holiness
            Patriarch Moran Mor Ignatius Zakka I Iwas' dream came true in 1996 with
            the construction of a beautiful new structure which became the location
            of St. Aphrem's Clerical Seminary. The new building is located in the
            municipality of Ma`arat Sayyidnaya, about twenty five kilometers north
            of Damascus.He is friendly with the rulers too. I respect this, at the
            same time, not ignoring the intention behind the suggestion.

            Thanking you,
            In HIS love,
            Jai Abe Cheriyan