Re: Church and Candidacy

  • Jai Abe Cheriyan
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2011
      Respected Moolelachen,

      Your advice to follow maturity in political matters is very much valid.

      However I think it is only "theoretically valid" in the context of Perumbavoor.The reasons are:

      1) Eventhough SOC is a small community in Kerala; it has proved its presence in various areas and can not be ignored. As you mentioned it might be foolish to demand church quota for its members, and we need not do it because we can claim a number of strong political leaders. However an IOC candidate from Perumbavoor is certainly a blow to our claim of Jacobite superiority in the region and in fact we award this claim to IOC to take advantage in various matters.

      2) Jaison Joseph might be a good Peron and an able leader, even might be neutral in Church matters, however we need to think his ability to withstand the strong pressure from his own Church once he get power to influence the local govt authorities which could diminish our interests and stands, no matter how legal and righteous those are. We the SOC must prevent this risk.

      3) We don't know why P.P. Thankachan agreed his candidature in Perumbavoor, he might have acted as a mature leader showing neutrality in mixing Church with politics; might have failed to convince the Congress High command/Youth congress leadership to field another candidate eventhough knowing the above risk as well. If latter is the case we can assume even the UDF Convener could not influence the party leadership to prevent an IOC candidate in the SOC stronghold, how a less experienced person like Jaison could run away from the IOC's influence and uphold our interests in future once he is in power?

      Candidature has happened; we need not shout ageist Jaison Joseph as a person; however we- the JSO members and religious leaders- should take steps to mitigate the risk of diminishing our growth because of his candidature at Perumbavoor.

      In HIS love,

      Jai Abe Cheriyan