Reason for Jonah's Disobedience to God

  • Vatachal Thomas John
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2011
      Why is it that Jonah the Prophet tried to disobey the command of Our Lord God to go to Nineveh the capital of Assyria an enemy of Israel and set out in the opposite direction as against the direction towards Nineveh?

      Our preachers give a number of reasons for the same even as the exact reason is given by Jonah himself in Jon 4:2 as indicated below:-
      "  ..didn't I say before I left home that  this is just what you would     do ? That is why I did my best to run away to Spain (Tarshish) I know that you are loving and merciful God always patient, always kind and always ready to change your mind and not punish"

      It is evident that Jonah did not want to go to Nineveh with God's message because he knew and was convinced that God WOULD NOT carry out His threat to destroy ONCE the King of Assyria and the citizens of Nineveh repented and turned to God. Jonah feared that when the King and the citizens of the city of Nineveh did  find that God did not punish them as prophesied by  Jonah, they will look down on Jonah as a lire or false prophet even though the fact is that the  prospect of  punishment was  very much there but it was not carried out by God solely because the people repented and  the city was spared by our Lord God as He is loving, merciful, patient and kind . The exact position is known to Jonah and God but the Ninuvites were ignorant of the situation.

      God wanted to save Nineveh at the cost of the reputation [or is it his pride and vanity ?] of Jonah as our Lord is concerned with  and took pity on  Nineveh the great city which had 120,000 innocent children(who cannot discern between their right hand and their left) in it as well as many animals (Jon.4:11)

      V T John
      ID 3085