Re: Great Lent # 07 - 13/03/2011 - on St. Ephrem

  • Dr Thomas Joseph
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2011
      Vineeth - Thanks for your messages on the forum. St. Ephrem, perhaps the most influential among early fathers of the Syriac Church and the tradition it came to represent, is unfortunately not well-known among Malankara Christians, except perhaps as a name commemorated in the fifth diptych. Hence, reflecting on his life especially on his memorial day that falls on the first Saturday of the Great Lent is indeed worthy.

      However, I do want to call out an error. St. Ephrem was not born to a heathen priest. This is a false claim of certain late sources outside the Syriac world, repeated by T.J. Lamy in his biography without referring to original Syriac sources, and is contrary to what St. Ephrem himself records. In 26th of his 56 madroshe (teaching hymns) titled "Against Heresies," the saint writes, "I was born in the way of truth: though my boyhood understood not the greatness of the benefit, I knew it when trial came." Again more explicitly, if we may trust a confession which unfortunately survives only in a Greek translation of the Syriac, "I had been early taught about Christ by my parents; they who begat me after the flesh, had trained me in the fear of the Lord... My parents were confessors before the judge: yea, I am the kindred of martyrs.")

      Recent biographies written by our authors in Malankara have uncritically repeated T.J. Lamy's error. We should let St. Ephrem's madrosho be the proper testimony for his life.

      For more, see http://sor.cua.edu/Personage/MEphrem/index.html

      Regards,
      Thomas
      ---