Fr. Thomas Hopko

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 16, 2011
      From beginning to end the Lenten services of the Church call us to return to God our Father. The theme of the parable of the prodigal son runs through the entire season.

      We have wasted what our good God has given us.
      We have ruined our lives and our world.
      We have polluted the air, the water, and the earth.
      The birds and the fish, the plants and the animals grieve because of our wickedness.
      We have corrupted our bodies and minds.
      We have abandoned communion with God and the joy of His dwelling.
      We have gone off on our own, following our own ideas, enacting our own plans.

      And the result is that we are away from our true home, lost in a far country, living among swine. Through our reckless wasting of the gifts given by God we have stripped ourselves of our original glory, wisdom, beauty, and strength: we have lost our divine legacy as children of God. And the whole cosmos suffers with us in our affliction.

      Fr. Thomas Hopko, The Lenten Spring; Chapter 4
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11, 2012
        The Lenten season is a time for labor and effort. It is a season when we strive to energize ourselves to spiritual feats. It is a time when we declare a conscious struggle against sloth., and beg the Lord to not give us this evil spirit, but to take it away from us when we are caught in its snares.

        Fr. Thomas Hopko, The Lenten Spring

        In Christ,
        Mark Sedrak
        The Orthodox Bookstore