The water that blushed at the house at Cana

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2011
      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      My earnest attempt is to add a few lines to the beautiful thoughts presented by Mr. George Varghese, Chennai in the previous digest. "The conscious water saw its God (Creator) and blushed" This is a real fact and the precious old faith of the Holy Church. Even during the sacrament of Holy Baptism, we hear the celebrant saying: “The water saw thee our Lord”. The Holy Church teaches that by the baptism of our Lord, the entire water sources on the face of earth were blessed and sanctified, when our Lord stepped into the water of river of Jordan. As true Christians we cannot get back from the assignment of taking care of the water sources and to maintain them from pollution. When the water saw its master/creator, a sudden change took place there. The ordinary water without smell, color and special taste achieved all these qualities, as soon as a transformation took place in the water and hence resulted in the formation of wine. This event is considered as the first miracle by our Lord during His blessed Public Mission. When we read this scriptural portion arranged by our forefathers for the study and meditation of the first day of the fasting, we should not forget the truth that the very purpose of the incarnation of our Lord was the re-installation of mankind in the place from where they were forced to leave due to emergence of selfishness in the first parents. Our Lord and savior appeared with the master plan of salvation of the entire humanity. Our redeemer’s original plan of salvation was to redeem the humanity from the bondage of sin and death, by offering His own flesh and blood as the ransom. As per the will of God, Lord Jesus established the Holy Sacraments and Holy Eucharist as the crown of all the Sacraments and entrusted the Holy Church to carry on until His second coming. And the Holy church is following our Lord’s command and instruction.

      "My hour is not yet come".

      The so called ‘Public Mission’ was the days of preparation of redemption and salvation of the entire mankind and the creation. As it is well known to one and all, the wedding at Cana took place on the first day of our Lord’s Public Mission. When St. Mary, mother of God presented the matter of the shortage of wine in the house of marriage, our Lord might have replied as said above, thinking about the establishment of the Holy Eucharist in which wine is an integral part. Our Lord might have meant that His hour was not yet come to make use of wine as a means of salvation. But still He honored His beloved mother’s plea. Lord Jesus converted the water on which the Holy Spirit had moved upon as mentioned in Gen.1: 2 as wine and the wine was converted as His own blood when He established the Holy Eucharist.

      See how wonderfully our Church Fathers have arranged the scriptural portion for the meditation and study of the first day of the great Lent, following the guidelines observed and taught by our Savior, Lord Jesus Christ who observed the 40 days fasting for our sake. When we read about the wine served at the marriage reception hall at Cana, we are obliged to long for the partaking of the life giving Holy Eucharist as our Savior’s blood and flesh with repentance, faith and conviction.

      May God bless us all.

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril
      Kottayam.