Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

  • Very. Rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 153 , Mar 6, 2011
      READ: Psalm 19Appended

      The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork.
      —Psalm 19:1

      In this age of new video technology, it might be hard to believe that some
      teachers still feel the best way to depict Bible stories is the low-tech
      flannelgraph board. I recall that my childhood Sunday school teachers used those
      flat boards covered with flannel, which enabled them to display cutouts of
      David, Daniel, Jonah, Jesus, and all the other characters. The flannelgraphs
      helped my teachers capture the essence of the Bible story in an artistic way.

      Those old-school flannelgraphs aren’t the oldest graphic teaching devices,
      however. God has long had a kind of “flannelgraph” of His own, and it is called
      creation. God uses the marvel of creation to instruct us and to display His
      power.

      In Psalm 19:1, David wrote, “The heavens declare the glory of God; and the
      firmament shows His handiwork.” In creation, God has revealed Himself so clearly
      that Paul declared, “His invisible attributes are clearly seen.” Those who have
      the witness of creation are “without excuse” (Rom. 1:20). Why? On the
      flannelgraph of God’s creation, we see God’s order and design. We see His power
      and glory. This should lead us to worship. “O Lord, our Lord, how excellent is
      Your name in all the earth!” (Ps. 8:1). —Bill Crowder

      With words of great power God formed the world—
      By the strength of His voice heaven’s hosts were unfurled;
      Now in His honor we worship His name
      And in heartfelt devotion His glory proclaim. —Branon

      Creation is the canvas on which God has painted His character.
      Psalm 19[a] For the director of music. A psalm of David.
      1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
      the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
      2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
      night after night they reveal knowledge.
      3 They have no speech, they use no words;
      no sound is heard from them.
      4 Yet their voice[b] goes out into all the earth,
      their words to the ends of the world.
      In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
      5 It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
      like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
      6 It rises at one end of the heavens
      and makes its circuit to the other;
      nothing is deprived of its warmth.
      7 The law of the LORD is perfect,
      refreshing the soul.
      The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy,
      making wise the simple.
      8 The precepts of the LORD are right,
      giving joy to the heart.
      The commands of the LORD are radiant,
      giving light to the eyes.
      9 The fear of the LORD is pure,
      enduring forever.
      The decrees of the LORD are firm,
      and all of them are righteous.
      10 They are more precious than gold,
      than much pure gold;
      they are sweeter than honey,
      than honey from the honeycomb.
      11 By them your servant is warned;
      in keeping them there is great reward.
      12 But who can discern their own errors?
      Forgive my hidden faults.
      13 Keep your servant also from willful sins;
      may they not rule over me.
      Then I will be blameless,
      innocent of great transgression.
      14 May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
      be pleasing in your sight,
      LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
      Footnotes:
      1. Psalm 19:1 In Hebrew texts 19:1-14 is numbered 19:2-15.
      2. Psalm 19:4 Septuagint, Jerome and Syriac; Hebrew measuring line
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.