Leo the Great

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2011
      For those who omit nothing from the humiliation of fasting exhaust themselves fruitless fatigue, unless they sanctify themselves by the payment of alms, as far as they can. So it is right that generosity towards feeding the poor should be more abundant in those who have less strength for abstinence. Therefore, what someone doesn't deny himself in his weakness, he should offer gladly to another in need, and should make his own necessity common with that of the needy.

      Leo the Great, Homily 87
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2013
        Our Savior, dearly-beloved, was born today: let us be glad. ... Let the saint
        exult in that he draws near to victory. Let the sinner be glad in that he is
        invited to pardon. Let the Gentile take courage in that he is called to life.
        For the Son of God in the fullness of time ... has taken on him the nature of
        [humanity], thereby to reconcile it to its Author: in order that the inventor
        of death, the devil, might be conquered through that which he had conquered.
        And in this conflict undertaken for us, the fight was fought on great and
        wondrous principles of fairness; for the Almighty Lord enters the lists with
        his savage foe not in his own majesty but in our humility, opposing him with
        the same form and the same nature, which shares indeed our mortality, though it
        is free from all sin.

        Leo the Great, from Sermon XXI, Feast of the Nativity
        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2261143/sunday-sermons-of-the-great-fathers-4?keywords=sunday+sermons