Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Mar 5 7:50 AM
      READ: Revelation 5:1-12 Appended

      So I wept much, because no one was found worthy to open and read the scroll. Revelation 5:4

      John, the great apostle and the one Jesus loved, was reduced to tears.
      In a vision he received while imprisoned (Rev. 5:1-12) he found himself in God's throne room as future events unfolded. In heaven, John saw God hold up a sealed scroll. He wept because as he observed the glories of God's presence, he saw no one who could open the scroll no one with the power to reveal God's final revelation and to complete the concluding chapter of history drama.

      As an apostle, John had observed the power of sin in the world. He had witnessed Jesus life and death on earth to conquer sin. He had seen Him ascend into heaven. But now he was fearful when he saw that no one was worthy to open the scroll and vanquish sin forever (v.4).

      Imagine the drama of what happened next. An elder approached John and said, Do not weep,� and pointed him toward Someone he knew: Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah� (v.5). John looked, and he saw Jesus the only One with the power to take the scroll, open the seals, and complete the story. Soon John's tears were dry, and millions of angels were proclaiming, Worthy is the Lamb!� (v.12).

      Are you crying? Behold, John's friend Jesus. He is worthy. Turn things over to Him. - Dave Branon

      Our Lord is worthy all our days
      Of all our love and highest praise;
      He died to take our sin and shame
      Oh, bless the Savior's holy name! - Egner

      The Lamb who died to save us is the Shepherd who lives to lead us.
      Revelation 5:1-12

      Revelation 5
      The Scroll and the Lamb 1 Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. 2 And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, “Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?� 3 But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. 4 I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside. 5 Then one of the elders said to me, Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.� 6 Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits[a] of God sent out into all the earth. 7 He went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne. 8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God's people. 9 And they sang a new song, saying:

      You are worthy to take the scroll
      and to open its seals,
      because you were slain,
      and with your blood you purchased for God
      persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.
      10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
      and they will reign[b] on the earth.�
      11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. 12 In a loud voice they were saying:

      Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
      to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
      and honor and glory and praise!

      Footnotes:
      1. Revelation 5:6 That is, the sevenfold Spirit
      2. Revelation 5:10 Some manuscripts they reign
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.