Curse on Jewish community as a whole for the execution of Jesus Christ- correction

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2011
      Curse on Jewish community as a whole in our prayers for the execution of Jesus- correction

      Could our highest echelons and ecclesiastical orders are ready
      for openly discussing, brainstorming, reviewing, correcting and recasting our holy fathers interpretations, writings, prayers, and speeches, cursing on cursing the Jewish community as whole in the light of Pope Benedict XV1 new revelations that Jewish people are not responsible for Jesus’ death? The pope made the comment in new book’ Jesus of Nazareth”. In the book, the pope also denies the Gospel writer’s claim that Jews working in the temple collaborated with Roman authorities, leading to Jesus execution.

      Paulose Achen
    • Mathew G M
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2011
        Rev Fr. Paulose,

        Christianity is a religion that teaches about just ONE way to the Father. That way is Jesus Christ. If one rejects Christ, then that person does not have Salvation. This has nothing to do with anti-semitism.

        The Jews loose salvation not because they killed or collaborated with the Jews in killing Jesus. Even after killing Jesus, they had the opportunity to repent and accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.It is their refusal to accept Jesus and Messiah that is making them loose their salvation.

        There is nothing wrong with our prayer books and hence no correction is needed.

        Mathew G M
        0929

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Rev. Fr. Paulose V V wrote:

        > Curse on Jewish community as a whole in our prayers for the execution of Jesus- correction
        >
        > Could our highest echelons and ecclesiastical orders are ready
        > for openly discussing, brainstorming, reviewing, correcting and recasting our holy fathers interpretations, writings, prayers, and speeches, cursing on cursing the Jewish community as whole
      • Zach George Arapura
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 9, 2011
          I feel that the Popes statements and views on the culpability of Jews in the crucifixion are constructive in nature and will help remove `anti-Semitic' label from the Roman Catholic Church. Various steps have been taken by the Roman Catholic Church to normalize the relations with Jews in the past. The second Vatican Council made a great headway in normalizing the relations between the two communities. They have also made some changes in their religious service to reflect their positive attitude to Jews.

          While the Roman Catholic Church and Anglican church have `made peace' with the Jewish community that is not the case with the various Orthodox Churches. (See http://new.jpost.com/JewishWorld/JewishNews/Article.aspx?id=64129 )
          "Paurohityam raajyam pravachanamenniva enye yoodanmare ningade nilayam sarvam shoonyam", "Pathu sahasrathe veezhthiya nin vaallal krooshakare naasham cheithu mudikka", "Ninne thookkiya nagarathil raajadheesan vazharuthe", "Ninte sleeba enna mazhuval athu chuttum chithareedatte"

          Above quoted are some of the verses in our Good Friday service. IMHO they echo a Judo-phobic attitude which I believe is unbecoming a Christian.

          Why are we cursing the Jews for a deed for which the Lord himself has forgiven them?

          Shouldn't we change these curses to prayers like what is followed by the Roman Catholic Church? Their prayer reads as follows "Let us also pray for the Jews: That our God and Lord may illuminate their hearts, that they acknowledge Jesus Christ is the Saviour of all men.

          Almighty and eternal God, who want that all men be saved and come to the recognition of the truth, propitiously grant that even as the fullness of the peoples enters Thy Church, all Israel be saved. Through Christ Our Lord. Amen."

          Isn't praying for them better than cursing them?

          I would like to reiterate Paulose Achens statement that the clergy should be at least open to "discussing, brainstorming, reviewing, correcting and recasting our holy fathers' interpretations, writings, prayers, and speeches" regarding this issue.

          We know that our liturgy and traditions were formed over a period of time and has undergone revisions from time to time. This issue, as far as I know, is not dogmatic. It is subject to periodic amendments/revisions by the Holy Synod.

          Submitted by
          Zach George Arapura
          Member # 3083