Spiritual Words.

  • Mark Sadek
    Message 1 of 1932 , Feb 27, 2011
      "...among our people there exists an ascetic spirit as created by Orthodoxy through the centuries. The Orthodox soul of our people leans towards the Holy Fathers and the Orthodox ascetics. Ascetic exertion, at the personal, family, and parish level, particularly of prayer and fasting, is the characteristic of Orthodoxy. Our people is a people of Christ, an Orthodox people, because -- as Christ did -- it sums up the Gospel in these two virtues: prayer and fasting. And it is a people convinced that all defilement, all foul thoughts, can be driven out of man by these alone (Matt. 17:21). In its heart of hearts our people know Christ and Orthodoxy, they know just what it is that makes an Orthodox person Orthodox. Orthodoxy will always generate ascetic rebirth. She recognizes no other."

      St. Justin Popovich.

      "The poor shall eat and be satisfied; Those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever!." Psalm 22:26
    • Mark Sadek
      Message 1932 of 1932 , Aug 10 5:22 PM

        "My son, do not stray away from God seeking what is perishable; but rather remember what you have decided in the time of your fervor, and do not forget the seal by which you were purified before. Remember the tears of repentance, and the prayers that were raised on your behalf, and flee from the evil thoughts lest you be lost. My son, leave your bed every night, and wet your bedclothes with your tears, and supplicate to the Lord Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, your renewal, and for help in the good deeds so that you may inherit His eternal heavenly kingdom."

        St. Anthony the Great, The Paradise of the Holy Fathers.

        ------------------------------ -----------------

        "Return, we beseech You, O God of hosts; Look down from heaven and see, And visit this vine; And the vineyard which Your right hand has planted."  Psalm 80:14-15

        ------------------------------ -----------------

        The Bible reading for the 5th of Misra, August 11, is:
        23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease among the people. 24 Then His fame went throughout all Syria; and they brought to Him all sick people who were afflicted with various diseases and torments, and those who were demon-possessed, epileptics, and paralytics; and He healed them. 25 Great multitudes followed Him--from Galilee, and from Decapolis, Jerusalem, Judea, and beyond the Jordan.
        5:1 And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him. 2 Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying: 3 Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted. 5 Blessed are the meek, For they shall inherit the earth. 6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled. 7 Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy. 8 Blessed are the pure in heart, For they shall see God. 9 Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God. 10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. 12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. 13 You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. 14 You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. (Matt. 4:23-5:16)
        Departure of St. John the Soldier.

        The Bible reading for the 6th of Misra, August 12, is: Matthew 25:1-13
        Martyrdom of St. Julietta.

        The Bible reading for the 7th of Misra, August 13, is: Luke 20:9-19
        The Annunciation of St. Joachim with the Birth of the Virgin Mary.
        Departure of St. Timothy II (Timotheos), 26th Pope of Alexandria.

        ------------------------------ -----------------

        Prayer Requests:

        Jessenia W - Bipolar depression.
        Urgent: Amal - Cancer.