Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

  • Very. Rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 153 , Feb 27, 2011
      READ: 1 Peter 4:7-11Appended

      . . . that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. —1 Peter
      4:11

      Corrie ten Boom (1892–1983) was a World War II concentration camp survivor and
      Christian who became a popular speaker around the world. Thousands attended her
      meetings as she talked about how she had learned to forgive her captors just as
      Christ had forgiven her sins.

      After each meeting, people surrounded her and heaped accolades on her for her
      godly qualities and thanked her for encouraging them in their walk with the
      Lord. Corrie said she would then return to her hotel room, get down on her
      knees, and present those compliments in thanks to God. She called it giving God
      “a bouquet of praise.”

      The Lord has given each of us gifts to use to minister to one another (1 Peter
      4:10) so that “in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom
      belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever” (v.11). We have nothing to
      offer others that we have not first received from the Lord (1 Cor. 4:7), so the
      glory does belong to Him.

      To learn humility, perhaps we could follow Corrie’s example. If we receive a
      compliment for something we’ve said or done, let’s privately give a bouquet of
      praise to God for the glory He alone deserves. —Anne Cetas

      Immortal, invisible, God only wise,
      In light inaccessible hid from our eyes,
      Most blessed, most glorious, the Ancient of Days,
      Almighty, victorious—Thy great name we praise. —Smith

      Praise is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul.
      1 Peter 4:7-11

      7 The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that
      you may pray. 8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a
      multitude of sins. 9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10 Each
      of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful
      stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should
      do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do
      so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised
      through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.