Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

  • Very. Rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 153 , Feb 25 9:58 PM
      READ: Exodus 6:1-13 Appended

      I will rescue you from their bondage, and I will redeem you with an outstretched
      arm and with great judgments. —Exodus 6:6

      “Sixteen Tons,” written by Merle Travis and recorded by Tennessee Ernie Ford,
      became one of America’s most popular songs in the mid-1950s. People seemed to
      identify with this coal miner’s lament about feeling trapped and unable to
      change his situation no matter how hard he worked. Coal miners often lived in
      company-owned houses and were paid in “scrip”—coupons valid only at the
      company-owned store. Even if summoned to heaven, the miner said, he couldn’t go
      because he owed his soul to the company store.

      That sense of hopeless resignation may help us understand the feelings of the
      Hebrew people during their 400 years of bondage in Egypt. When Moses told them
      of God’s promise to release them from slavery, they didn’t listen to him
      “because of anguish of spirit” (Ex. 6:9). They were so far down they couldn’t
      look up.

      But God did something for them that they could not do for themselves. The Lord’s
      miraculous deliverance of His people foreshadowed His powerful intervention on
      our behalf through His Son Jesus Christ. It was when “we were powerless to help
      ourselves that Christ died for sinful men” (Rom. 5:6 PHILLIPS).

      When life is at its lowest ebb, we are not without hope because of the wonderful
      grace of God. —David McCasland

      When trouble seeks to rob your very breath,
      When tragedy hits hard and steals your days,
      Recall that Christ endured the sting of death;
      He gives us hope, and merits all our praise. —Gustafson

      No one is hopeless whose hope is in God.
      Exodus 6:1-13

      1 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Now you will see what I will do to Pharaoh:
      Because of my mighty hand he will let them go; because of my mighty hand he will
      drive them out of his country.”

      2 God also said to Moses, “I am the LORD. 3 I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and
      to Jacob as God Almighty,[a] but by my name the LORD[b] I did not make myself
      fully known to them. 4 I also established my covenant with them to give them the
      land of Canaan, where they resided as foreigners. 5 Moreover, I have heard the
      groaning of the Israelites, whom the Egyptians are enslaving, and I have
      remembered my covenant.

      6 “Therefore, say to the Israelites: ‘I am the LORD, and I will bring you out
      from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them,
      and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment.
      7 I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know
      that I am the LORD your God, who brought you out from under the yoke of the
      Egyptians. 8 And I will bring you to the land I swore with uplifted hand to give
      to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob. I will give it to you as a possession. I am
      the LORD.’”

      9 Moses reported this to the Israelites, but they did not listen to him because
      of their discouragement and harsh labor.

      10 Then the LORD said to Moses, 11 “Go, tell Pharaoh king of Egypt to let the
      Israelites go out of his country.”

      12 But Moses said to the LORD, “If the Israelites will not listen to me, why
      would Pharaoh listen to me, since I speak with faltering lips[c]?”

      Family Record of Moses and Aaron 13 Now the LORD spoke to Moses and Aaron about
      the Israelites and Pharaoh king of Egypt, and he commanded them to bring the
      Israelites out of Egypt.

      Footnotes:
      1. Exodus 6:3 Hebrew El-Shaddai
      2. Exodus 6:3 See note at 3:15.
      3. Exodus 6:12 Hebrew I am uncircumcised of lips; also in verse 30
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.