Great Lent Ideas?

  • George Aramath
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2011
      Respected Members,

      As the Great Lent begins soon, I had a question in regards to approaching it more properly.

      In the olden days, I've heard that families would give up animal products and sacrifice certain food(s) day-by-day, which is then given to the church and the needy at the end of lent.

      Since we no longer live in an agricultural setting, how can we transition this idea of sacrifice to our Lenten season today? In other words, please share your ideas on what changes you and your family have made during the Great Lent that makes the season more beneficial and meaningful.

      I look forward to reading your ideas/thoughts.

      Thank you,
      George Aramath
    • Shinu Jesus Abraham
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2011
        Greetings to all

        Dear George

        Let me share my few Lent thoughts with you though it may not be what you were looking for.

        Do enjoy giving and sharing from His portion/tithe always – Return to me and I will return to you is His promise. If somebody is not doing this let this lent be the starting point. The beauty is that you will soon find out that He will return much more, economically too in ways you cannot imagine.

        Secondly is to submit ourselves more at his feet with prostrations/ kumbideel / sashtanga pranamam. One interpretation which I really enjoyed of this though not very sure about its theology is – right prostration is with 8 body parts touching the earth which is His footstool. Those are
        a. Your fore head – submitting all your thoughts.
        b. Your Nose – submitting your life.
        c. Your 2 hand knuckles – submitting all your works of hand.
        d. Your 2 Knees – submitting all your physical strengths.
        e. Your 2 Feet – submitting all your walks in life.

        Thirdly and most importantly prayers, repentance and salvation.

        Wishing you all a Great Lent experience.
        Requesting prayers

        Shinu Jesus Abraham
        Member ID # 2908

        NB. A great experience I had a few years back was when I was lucky enough to join our Very Rev. Phenehas Rabban for noon prayers in Malekurishu Dayara where I couldn't cope with the energy of an 80 year old in kissing the feet of our Lord. I could experience the Grace and Blessings after the prayer and very good introspection on how small and far I am.