His Holiness & Your Holiness and His Grace & Your Grace

  • Vatachal Thomas John
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2011
      Barek mor & Slomo amkoon.

      I have time and again heard learned people addressing Moran Patriarch His Holiness instead of Your Holiness.When we refer to the Holy Father, we can say His Holiness.

      Very recently on Sunday 27th instant I heard the lady compere at the Syriac Musical Evening at Mammen Mappilai Hall Kottayam addressing the bishops His Grace instead of Your Grace.

      It is correct to refer to a bishop as His Grace. But when we address a bishop we have to say Your Grace or Your Excellency. It is bad English to say Thank you, His Grace. One has to say Thank you,Your Grace.In an assembly when we have to refer to a bishop present at the function, we can say His Grace.

      V T John
      ID 3085