Re: Call for unity in Malankara Church

  • Raju M.Thomas
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2011
      We are two different churches and let us go in our own way. We strongly oppose the merger.

      Raju M.Thomas
      Manalel Chirayil

      > Call for unity in Malankara Church.
      > http://socmnet.org/News/Church_Unity_Meeting.gif
      > Source: Malayala Manorama

    • Baby
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 7, 2011
        Dear friends,
        It is yet another trap by metran faction, please don't be prey.
        With regards
        Baby
        4029

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Raju M.Thomas wrote:

        > We are two different churches and let us go in our own way. We strongly oppose the merger.
        >
        > Raju M.Thomas
        > Manalel Chirayil
        > 4188
        >
        > --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, SOCM News Bureau wrote:
        > >
        > > Call for unity in Malankara Church.
        > > http://socmnet.org/News/Church_Unity_Meeting.gif
        > > Source: Malayala Manorama
      • Mathew G M
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
          Mr Raju,

          I don't understand why you oppose unity. We have more things in common with our brothers in Methran Kakshi than anyone else. The only difference of opinion we have with the Methran Kakshi is about how much authority the Patriarch of Antioch has over the Malankara Church. If we can work out those differences, then why not work and pray towards unity.

          In Christ,
          Mathew G M
          0929

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Raju M.Thomas wrote:

          > We are two different churches and let us go in our own way. We strongly oppose the merger.
          >
          > Raju M.Thomas
          > Manalel Chirayil
          > 4188
        • Dr. Leena Mathew
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 9, 2011
            Dear Mr. Baby,

            As you said it is definitly another trap. If we allow their priest in any of our peaceful churches,  for sure we can expect  problem. Kannine kayam kanichalullathupole avum.

            With Prayers,
            Leena
            4136
          • Zach George Arapura
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 11, 2011
              As I understand it, the `Malankara Sabha Samadhana Samithi' called for cooporation and peace between the two factions and not unification. It appeared to me in perfectly good sense and a sentiment which any Christian would echo.

              Being a rather optimistic man, I fail to see the "trap" which some seem to be alluding to.

              Is it a bad thing to encourage cooporation among the two factions? I don't think so.

              As Mr.Mathew GM wrote, we have more things in common with the MOSC than anyone else.

              We come from the same stock, believe in the same faith, follow the same liturgy, use the same vestments and so forth. Any reason, other than a deviation from Orthodox faith, is trivial and can be or rather must be resolved through dialogs.

              Any attempt to bring peace to the Church must start from the ground level. If a consensus can be reached by ordinary people, like you and me, the leadership of both the factions would be forced to recognize it. And it is my humble opinion that any group, like `Malankara Sabha Samadhana Samithi', that has any chance to achieve that end should be encouraged.

              Submitted by
              Zach George Arapura
              Member# 3083

              PS. It would have been better had the Moderators titled the news item `Call for cooporation in Malankara Church' rather than `Call for unity in Malankara Church' as some people have an anathema to the word `unity' when used in the context of SOC/MOSC.
            • Varghese Abraham
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 17, 2011
                Dear all,

                Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.
                The experience of an attempt at unity in 1958 is still haunting SOC.
                Therefore it is quite natural for SOC to have reservations when calls for unity are raised. Co operation is a better word. What is unity? It could be unity if ideas, philosophy,liturgy etc, but NOT unity of administrative structure or ecclesiastical order. SOC cannot afford to forsake it's right to have a relationship with HH Patriarch of Antioch the way it wants and the right to run its affairs in Kerala the way it wants.In short, SOC should go by 2002 constitution just like IOC is going by its own 1934 constitution. If this is the basis,there is no problem. If the so called "unity" moves are not in this direction, SOC should nor encourage it.

                Prayers,
                Varghese Abraham

                From the desk of the Moderators:

                Please sign your messages with member ID. If you do not have a member ID, please send your details including contact number to moderators (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com) and obtain a member ID BEFORE POSTING ANY MORE MESSAGES in SOCM. Thank you for your cooperation.