Re: Songs in West Syriac

  • Dr. Thomas Joseph
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2011
      Here are the English transliterations of the requested Syriac hymns. If you are looking for the hymns in Syriac script, I can provide that when I've time to typeset.

      Note: Since I cannot use special characters in ascii text, I use capitalized letters for Heth (H), Teth (T), and Sodhé (S), and ` for `ayn.

      to bashlom abun zahyo. mor (...) yo gabyo.
      `onokh laHzothokh Sohyo. wal-boorko-thokh m-keem m-sakhyo.
      laloho mawdyo. dagbokh lan ro`yo.
      bashmokh haw fayo fSeeHo w-Hodyo.
      mekheel neq`e b-khooleh Haylan.
      neeHé abun mor (...). d-neth-malé beh sookhoyan

      My translation in the Syriac metre:

      Welcome, O noble father, Mor (N), the chosen shepherd.
      Your flock thirsts to see you and for your blessings we await.
      We thank God who has chosen you a shepherd for us.
      In your name we rejoice and find gladness.
      Let us all cry out with our strength,
      "Long live our Father Mor (N)," we shall say and will affirm.

      ----

      From the Syriac text in Zmeerotho d`eedto suryoyto orthodoksoytho danTyookya / Hymns of the Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch, The Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church in the United States and Canada (1977) [copy of ms. in the hand of Rabban Yeshu` Cicek, later Metropolitan Mor Yulius Cicek of Europe, of blessed memory.]

      to bashlom ro`yo shareero
      wamdabrono hakeemo