Today with Jesus

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 442 , Feb 2, 2011
      Today’s Bible verse

      “I will give half of my property to the poor. And I will now pay back four times as much to everyone I have ever cheated.” (Luke 19:8)

      Do you think a mere 'sorry' will heal wounds?

      Without really feeling guilty, people say sorry after hurting and breaking others' hearts. When this happens, nobody is happy because the people concerned know that it was not genuinely meant. Genuine apology and reconciliation come only after re-compensating the damage in kind or in words. Apology is the first step in the reconciliation process. Confession in front of a priest alone never solves a problem. The culprit should be punished and they should be ready to accept it. Before confessing to a priest, it is important to apologize and seek pardon from the people you have hurt in words or deeds. Then come and do the confession and get pardoned by God. "Leave your gift there in front of the altar. Make peace with that person, then come back and offer your gift to God" (Mathew 5:24).

      Dr Cremer, a professor of behavioural business ethics in Netherlands, found apologies regularly fail to live up to people’s expectations. Dr. Sara Aharon, a Toronto psychologist specializing in trauma says, “After an apology, people are looking for “pure empathy” rather than an apology that has defensive qualities to it for instance, “ I’m sorry, but….”

      David committed adultery with Bathsheba and killed her husband, Uriah. When he was convinced of his heinous crimes, he went and wept in front of God. But God told him, "Your family will never live in peace. Someone from your own family will cause you a lot of trouble, and I will take your wives and give to another man before your very eyes. He will go to bed with them while everyone looks on. What you did was in secret, but I will do this in the open for everyone in Israel to see” (2 Samuel 12:10-12). It happened exactly the way God told him, starting with the death of his young son even though God had forgiven him.

      We should not do any harm to anybody. If we do, don’t forget that punishment will follow. And a mere sorry and a confession won’t solve the problem here on earth and in Heaven.

      Prayer : Jesus. keep us away from sins. Let us be vigilant and accept the punishment that we deserve. Give us the strength to bear it. We pray for all those who have been hurt by others in some way or the other. All we ask in the name of Jesus. Amen

      Paulose Aachen

      Toronto, Friday, 4th February 2011
      Sunday Mass : 9 A.M. to 10 A.M.
      Sunday School : 10 A.M. to 10.30 A.M.