Following Christ Up the Mount Tabor of Our Bare Mind

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1039 , Jan 29, 2003
      Following Christ Up the Mount Tabor of Our Bare Mind

      ...We hear the Father's Voice as it draws us inward through its touch
      for he addresses all his chosen ones in his Eternal Word.

      In order that Jesus' name might be extolled and glorified in us, let
      us follow him up the mountain of our bare mind, just as Peter, James,
      and John followed him up Mount Tabor. In our Dutch tongue the term
      Tabor means an increase of Light. If we are like Peter in knowing the
      truth, like James in overcoming the world, and like John in being
      full of grace and possessing the virtues in righteousness, then Jesus
      is leading us up the mountain of our bare mind to a barren, secret
      place and is manifesting himself to us in the glory of the divine
      Resplendence. In Jesus' name, his heavenly Father opens for us the
      living book of his eternal wisdom. God's wisdom envelops our bare
      mind and the simplicity of our spirit in a simple, formless savoring
      of all that is good. This takes place in an undifferentiated way, for
      here there is both seeing and knowing, tasting and feeling,
      subsisting and living, having and being, and all this is entirely one
      when we are thus raised above ourselves in God. But before we are
      thus raised up, each of us remains standing in some particular form
      or mode, and our heavenly Father, in his wisdom and goodness, bestows
      gifts upon each of us in particular, in accordance with the nobility
      of each person's being and exercises.

      For this reason, if we were to remain always with Jesus on Tabor,
      that is, on the mountain of our bare mind, we would experience a
      constant increase of new Light and new truth, for we would
      continually hear the Father's Voice taking hold of us as it flowed
      forth with grace and drew us in toward unity. All who follow our Lord
      Jesus Christ hear the Father's Voice, for he is speaking of them all
      when he says: "These are my chosen sons, in all of whom I am well
      pleased" (cf. Mt 3: 17). Through the Father's good pleasure each
      person receives grace, in accordance with the measure and way in
      which God is pleased with him. In and through the mutuality of our
      pleasure in God and God's pleasure in us, genuine love is practiced,
      so that everyone savors his name, his service, and the fruit of his
      works. In this, all who are good remain hidden from those who live
      according to the world's ways, for the latter are dead before God and
      are nameless; they can therefore neither experience nor savor what is
      proper to the living.

      God's outward-flowing touch makes us alive in our spirit, fills us
      with grace, enlightens our reason, teaches us to know the truth and
      to distinguish among the virtues, and keeps us standing in God's
      presence with such great strength that we can bear all savor, all
      experience, and all God's outward-flowing gifts without having our
      spirit fail us. But God's inward-drawing touch calls us to be one
      with him and to expire and die in a state of blessedness, that is, in
      that one love which enfolds the Father and the Son in a single state
      of blissful enjoyment. When, therefore, we have climbed with Jesus up
      that mountain where we are free of images -- provided we have
      followed him there with a single, simple gaze, with interior delight,
      and with blissful yearning -- we then experience the fierce heat of
      the Holy Spirit as it burns and melts us into God's own Unity. There,
      where we are one with the Son and have been lovingly brought back to
      our Source, we hear the Father's Voice as it draws us inward through
      its touch for he addresses all his chosen ones in his Eternal Word.

      -- John Ruusbroec (1293-1381),
      "John Ruusbroec -- The Spiritual Espousals and Other Works",
      Classics of Western Spirituality, Paulist Press
    • Jaison
      Message 1039 of 1039 , Sep 21, 2011
        Dear all
        regards